[SOLVED] Adding HDD to setup

zeeboo20

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I currently have a Windows 10 pc I built with a SSD for windows/apps and two 3TB HDD's for files. One HDD backs up the other by syncing every night via windows built in commands. I would like to add two more 3TB HDD's to both extend the primary and backup HDD. Is the easiest way to do this to treat the new HDD's as their own primary/backup? Or should I create and add volumes? Maybe even go with a RAID setup? Thoughts are appreciated.

Solution
The question is: What are you trying to achieve here?

If your answer is to have a functional backup system in place to prevent data loss, then this is not the ideal way to do it. If you suffer a catastrophic power supply failure, then it could take all the HDDs down with it. If someone steals your computer, then all the data will be gone. Security issues could compromise all of your data. You should be looking into cloud backups, network file servers (which could include network syncing), external hard drives, etc.

If your answer is to have a redundant system that prevents any loss of productivity, then this also is not the ideal way to do it. Obviously, the SSD will need to have a backup too. You should be looking into RAID mirrors...
The question is: What are you trying to achieve here?

If your answer is to have a functional backup system in place to prevent data loss, then this is not the ideal way to do it. If you suffer a catastrophic power supply failure, then it could take all the HDDs down with it. If someone steals your computer, then all the data will be gone. Security issues could compromise all of your data. You should be looking into cloud backups, network file servers (which could include network syncing), external hard drives, etc.

If your answer is to have a redundant system that prevents any loss of productivity, then this also is not the ideal way to do it. Obviously, the SSD will need to have a backup too. You should be looking into RAID mirrors, drive cloning, etc.

Solution