Question Adding/increasing drive space

Aug 18, 2019
Good evening,

Currently my (SSD) C: Drive is only 250gb in size. I have purchased a second SSD drive which is 1tb in size. I was told at Micro Center, where I purchased it that I would in fact be able to (obviously) install the new drive, and add it's 1tb size to the current C: drive. giving me a total of 1.250tb in size for my C: drive.

I can't figure out how to do this. Is there a way to in fact combine the two?

Thanks in advance

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
As far as I'm aware, this would be done through "Disk Management"; you would need to right click on one target partition, delete it (IF YOU HAVE DATA ON THAT PARTITION YOU NEED TO BACK IT UP BEFORE YOU DO THIS) and then right click the other partition and choose the Extend Volume option, from there I believe it brings up a Wizard which you follow along with to make two partitions one.

To put it simply:

Step 1) Open up Disk Management (This is part of Windows, I'm assuming you are running Windows 10 as it is not specified)

Step 2) Right click on the target partition and delete the volume from feature list

Step 3) Extend the volume of the OTHER target partition

Step 4) Wizard will guide you through the rest

USAFRet

Titan
Good evening,

Currently my (SSD) C: Drive is only 250gb in size. I have purchased a second SSD drive which is 1tb in size. I was told at Micro Center, where I purchased it that I would in fact be able to (obviously) install the new drive, and add it's 1tb size to the current C: drive. giving me a total of 1.250tb in size for my C: drive.

I can't figure out how to do this. Is there a way to in fact combine the two?

Thanks in advance
No.
You can't just mesh the 2 physical drives to equal 1.25GB.
(Well, sort of you can via Storage Spaces, but don't do this.)

Just add that drive, and it will be another drive letter. You can use that for whatever you wish.
Install games on it, videos, music, etc...

Reactions: DMAN999

USAFRet

Titan
As far as I'm aware, this would be done through "Disk Management"; you would need to right click on one target partition, delete it (IF YOU HAVE DATA ON THAT PARTITION YOU NEED TO BACK IT UP BEFORE YOU DO THIS) and then right click the other partition and choose the Extend Volume option, from there I believe it brings up a Wizard which you follow along with to make two partitions one.
No, you can't "Extend" across 2 physical drives.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
The problem with doing this is that no one ever does it so if you are ever talking to a support person he has to be pretty high up the totem pole and pretty expert to finally grasp what it is you did. I went up two or three levels at Carbonite before someone helped me figure it out. I think if you set up this way "you're on your own." GN

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I agree with USAFRet.
Just install the new 1 TB SSD and use it as a Data drive.
I have a 500 GB SSD as my OS/boot drive and 1 TB SSD that I use to install games on and another 500 GB SSD that I use to store other data on.
I also have a 1 TB HDD that I use for general storage and backups.

Aug 18, 2019
Thanks, that is where I'm pretty much at... I've installed the new 1tb, and using it specifically as a data drive now. Thanks for verifying my suspicion. I guess worst case scenario I could just do a clean install of windows down the road and use the 1tb as the drive with my OS on it.

Reactions: DMAN999

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
No, you can't "Extend" across 2 physical drives.
I've seen multiple sources online from performing research that suggest that it is possible, do you mind going into more detail on why it isn't? At the very least it would be helpful for me to expand my knowledge base, as I'm apparently lacking :p

Here are some sources of information I've found online suggesting that it is possible, these are just a few selected ones suggesting that it is possible one way or another, there are plenty more out there:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ombine-2-ssds-for-one-total-capacity.1869444/
https://superuser.com/questions/1268096/combine-two-ssd-into-one-bootable-drive
https://askubuntu.com/questions/677...types-of-hdds-ssd-into-one-recognizable-drive

USAFRet

Titan
well, yes. Spanned or striped or RAID 0 can do that.
But not a simple "Extend". That doesn't work across physical drives.

But the spanning thing in Windows is an accident waiting to happen.
The physical drive space is the same, but the complexity and fail potential is increased.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
well, yes. Spanned or striped or RAID 0 can do that.
But not a simple "Extend". That doesn't work across physical drives.

But the spanning thing in Windows is an accident waiting to happen.
The physical drive space is the same, but the complexity and fail potential is increased.
Ah okay, just checking to ensure I wasn't going barmy haha!

So generally speaking it is possible but overall not really recommended due to it more often than not doing more worse than good. Understood! Thanks for the help :D

popatim

Titan
Windows storage spaces creates a software raid which is not the same thing as extending a partition.

My one experience with windows mirror (Raid1) is bloody awful. The two drives go out of sync once or twice a month and being half full 3TB drives they take hours to resync. And it's almost always happens when I've not done anything with them...
I never had an issue with these same two drives in a mirror on my raid card.

USAFRet

Titan
"Spanned volume" issues: