Adding network printer in Vista.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I've hit a wall and I am completely frustrated at this point.

I've got a printer directly connected to my main Vista machine and I'm trying to share it with the laptop which has Vista Home Premium. I did have this set up and working at one point, then it suddenly stopped working without warning. I tried deleting and reinstalling the printer, but I get the dreaded "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure the name is typed correctly and the printer is connected to the network." message. So, I try the huge solution that everyone claims works (Add the printer as a local printer on LPT1, then go in and try adding a new local port with this convention: \\Computer name\printer name as the new port name.) Now, the problem that is frustrating me to no end is I get "Access denied" when I attempt to create the port. Adding to this frustration is the fact that no one seems to have had the same issue... and I've been Googling like mad trying to find someone that has. I only get "Oh yeah.. that worked!!!".

Well it doesn't work... not for me. So in one of my rare calls for help I ask if anyone knows of a possible solution. Most of the people with this issue are sharing the printer off an XP machine... but I have no XP machines. I'm extremely frustrated since this was working flawlessly a couple of months ago. The only explanation I can think of is some Vista update must have broken the printer sharing somehow... problem is I don't know which one... and I don't feel like uninstalling a pile of updates to troubleshoot.

Solution
Hi Zoron,

My wife recently renewed her machine from XP into Vista 64, and I had been suffering from exactly the same situation in trying to share the printer on my Vista 32.
As you did, I have found the "local port solution" in the Internet, but when I typed \\Computername\Printername, the reply was always "Access is denied." Since then, I tried almost most of the suggestions on the Web, including firewall issues, UAC ON/OFF, trying to install a 32-bit printer driver into Vista 64, etc, only unsuccessfully. Yes, it really frustrated me to see many "Oh yeah, that worked!!!"

But today, I have finally worked it out. I was not able to figure out maybe because I am not familiar with the "permissions" system on Vista.

In order to share the...

Pigpen1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Yippee!!
Finally got my daughter's Win 7 laptop to print via my Vista 32-bit with Samsung USB CLP-310, by using the 3 fixes quoted below. (3rd fix was on the laptop, not the desktop, and I ignored the fact that it's a USB Printer and set it up exactly as described).
It now works brilliantly - thanks enormously.

dagonalo

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Hello!

I find similar problem, but instead of having the printer connected to a computer I have the printer connected to a LAN access point.

I can print from my Windows XP machines perfectly, using a internet port lihe http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ipp/port1 (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the Printer IP in the LAN).

However, I cannot print using the same method from a Windows Vista 32bits machine. I don't get any error message, but the document never prints :pfff:

Has anybody found this problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

G

Howdy
2 Days ago I successfully add the printer using the port trick and then last night it quit working. Re did the steps and the got the access denied error at the add port name step. Got online and saw your solution: presto chango it now works.
Thank You Drompa.
Not to be a hater on MS but I saw the port trick solution posted by a User Melonhead on FEB 12 2007, on the microsft soft.com they have the port trick solution (don't know when it got added). My point is as of today I don't see Drompa work around as a possible additonal step or problem. Just saying.

G

i have problem sharing my printer too, i connect my canon ir1022 to my windows xp pc, it works in this pc and when i bought a now laptop with windows vista, i hardly connect the printer with this laptop, pls help anybody

Status
Not open for further replies.