Adding New SATA

pinzasso

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
I want to add a new 200 gig sata to my computer, i built it a year ago but i beleave that i orginally had no raid set up since i had a single sata. Whats the best and least intrusive way to add this new drive.

pat

Expert
well, you open the case, install the drive in the bay, connect the power, the SATA cable in the HDD and in the motherboard connector, close the case, boot up the computer, and let the assistant to help you partition and format your new drive.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I guess Pat is right unless you want to use it as the system drive. If that's the case then you need to press F6 while installing windows and then load the drivers for the SATA HDD

pat

Expert
You dont need to install any drivers if you connect it to the native chipset controller in a non-RAID setup... Unless you install it on third party controller, like Promise or Sil, then drivers are needed.

He already has a SATA disk working.. he just needs to install it to the next connector and he is ready to go.

I built so many computer with SATA drive and I only need to install drivers for RAID setup (and remember.. RAID is not SATA.. SCSI and ATA can be RAIDed too) or if I had to install the drive on motherboard too old to have SATA controller integrated to the chipset, as the nforce2 serie..

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
It's great that you tell me that!
I have an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe and always need to press F6 and load the drivers can you tell me how to do it without installing the drivers for that specific mobo?
Let me know what information do you need to know about it, or maybe you've built computers with that mobo and you already know the answer.
Anyway it will save me some time and trouble.
Thanks in advance!

pat

Expert
I just downloaded the manual for the a8v deluxe. It has the Promise controller, and the one in the south bridge.

Maybe on that old chipset, you need drivers as it doesnt seem to be integrated in the chipset, as the other IDE connector. I know that nforce3-4 and the latest VIA kt890 has native controller and doesnt need drivers for normal SATA operation.

As I said, I never worked with the kt800 chipset, so I'm not sure about needing it or not.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you see the drive in MAIN BIOS, you don't need a special driver. If you see the drive in a special DRIVE CONTROLLER BIOS, you need a special driver.

Windows Setup sees whatever drives are presented by main BIOS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I searched AMD mobos with socket 939 and nForce4, and compared them, then removed MSI and I'm still left with too many options.
I have an eVGA 256MB 5600FX video card but that is AGP so I was thinking of a 6600 PCIe video card instead.
I won't be doing OCing right now and I'm thinking of an A64 3000+ S939 CPU.
What will be a good price/performance mobo for this?
How much can I sell my video card for?

Thanks in advance!

pat

Expert
Soltek nforce4 939 board for 99$ at newegg. I always had good experiences with Soltek, but I did not have yet the chance to test that board. Maybe you could do it for me ..

Unless you necessary need SATA2 support and Active Armor nvidia firewall..