[SOLVED] Adding old HDDs to new build

Sep 27, 2020
I'm simultaneously building a new PC and upgrading a few old PCs.

The old PCs are prebuilt Dells ranging between 5-10 years old. I want to speed them up a bit so I'm replacing their old 1 TB HDDs with 240 GB SSDs. They don't get used for much more than web browsing and light office work so that should help a good bit. But each mobo has only one SATA port, so I'll now have three extra 1 TB HDDs with nothing to do with them. None of them are very fast, but it's a shame to have all that storage sitting unused on a shelf.

My new build has a 1 TB M.2 SSD and a 2 TB USB 3.0 HDD (for easier transferring files between computers) so I don't really need more storage. But the new mobo has 4 SATA III slots that are currently going unused. Is there a downside to wiping the old hard drives and adding them to the new PC build? It's certainly way more space than I need, but it seems like if I already have them I might as well use them rather than just letting them collect dust. That is unless adding them would slow down the computer in any way, in which case it clearly doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your advice :)