[SOLVED] Adding Ram to motherboard

Shane4777

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
So as my title says I'm looking to add ram to my motherboard. I'm not to knowledgeable on adding and I cant find a clear answer as to whether or not it's ok to add ram. Only information I did find was when upgrading you want to get a new motherboard. I'm not upgrading or rather I dont need to, I plan to use the existing 2 4gb sticks I have and add 2 more of the same kind. So I'm unsure if I can just add the 2 and itll be fine or if I need a new motherboard to add more.

If you need it my motherboard is a MSI Z307 gaming plus and my cpu is an i5-8600k.

Solution
If I took this approach and just got a new 16gb set, can I then use them with my current motherboard still or would I need to get a new one to avoid any problems you've just mentioned or is that the gamble?
If you get a 16 GB set with the correct specs for your current MB of course you can use them with your current MB.
That would be the most ideal case.
However I think there is a good chance two sticks with matching specs to your current specs will work. Most of the time I do this it works.
many users here and all over troubleshooting forums have had issues with mixing different sets of RAM, even if these sets are the exact same manufacturer, model, specs.
sometimes it causes issues with accessing data resulting in problems with booting, running Windows, running certain programs, etc.

it is always the best idea to get a single package of RAM that has been tested and verified to work together.
your best option would be to find another use for your current 2x 4GB set(selling, trading, etc) and buying a new 16GB set.

Shane4777

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
many users here and all over troubleshooting forums have had issues with mixing different sets of RAM, even if these sets are the exact same manufacturer, model, specs.
sometimes it causes issues with accessing data resulting in problems with booting, running Windows, running certain programs, etc.

it is always the best idea to get a single package of RAM that has been tested and verified to work together.
your best option would be to find another use for your current 2x 4GB set(selling, trading, etc) and buying a new 16GB set.
If I took this approach and just got a new 16gb set, can I then use them with my current motherboard still or would I need to get a new one to avoid any problems you've just mentioned or is that the gamble?

If you get a 16 GB set with the correct specs for your current MB of course you can use them with your current MB.
However I think there is a good chance two sticks with matching specs to your current specs will work. Most of the time I do this it works.

Solution

Shane4777

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Ooh ok, thanks again. Im feeling more confident

your Z370, not Z307, motherboard supports DDR4 RAM. it may be limited to certain speeds but any DDR4 RAM should work if set to standards the board can handle.

a motherboard is not restricted to a certain set that comes with it. disregard whatever you read about needing to upgrade your motherboard to change/upgrade RAM.

Shane4777

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
your Z370, not Z307, motherboard supports DDR4 RAM. it may be limited to certain speeds but any DDR4 RAM should work if set to standards the board can handle.

a motherboard is not restricted to a certain set that comes with it. disregard whatever you read about needing to upgrade your motherboard to change/upgrade RAM.
Ok yeah the whole upgrade thing is what had me hesitant. So I'm glad knowing as long as it works with my board I should be good. Thank you

Last edited: