tallen234

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I've had a lot of problems migrating from an old PC running Windows 10 to a new PC running Windows 10. The current problem is that I am attempting to install a SSD from my old computer to my new computer. I've installed it and booted up the computer and I can access everything in the drive and now I want to format the disk to clear up space. Right now I have 3 "permanent" drives (and one temporary hard drive docking station).

C: PCIe NVMe SSD (boot drive)
D: 2 TB 7200 HDD that I use for storing data (pictures, videos, etc)
E: (system reserved this for a external hard drive enclosure that I used to transfer data from the OTHER hard drive on my old system to my new system (search my posts for the problems with this one!)
F: My old SSD (that I now want to erase/format)

I know just enough to know that I really don't know much about disk management. It appears that windows has consolidated the E: drive and the F: drive as "Disk 1" in disk management. So, Disk 0 is my data drive. Disk 1 appears to be E: (my reserved external enclosure), F: (my Old SSD that I want to erase/reformet and then 450MB of a "Healthy Recovery partiton" and Disk 2 is my C: (boot drive).

Since everything appears to be working ok, it doesn't appear that I messed things up too much. Here are my questions:

1. Is there anything wrong with Disk 1 in Disk Management because it combined two disk drives?

2. Can I just right click on my F: drive and hit "format" to do what I want to do (clean/erase the old ssd)

3. Is there anything wrong with "Disk 2" in disk management being the boot drive?

Thanks (I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...)

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

OK then. Always good to have an absolute YES.

So, for the other drives:
In Disk Management, right click and DELETE whatever partitions you no longer want.
Format the resulting space, and give it a drive letter., and

tallen234

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Hmmm.... I'm not sure I am comfortable with disconnecting all of the existing drives (E: and F:) given that installing the old SSD into the new computer gave me pause/some problems. I guess I can if necessary, but it may prove challenging.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

If you do not know that the system will actually boot from the current C drive and only the C drive....deleting something else may result in tears.
And you only know if you actually test.

tallen234

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Ok, I'll take a stab at it later. I haven't changed the boot drive with the OS on it. It's always been C: (I just got the computer a week ago). The old ssd is only going to be used for games/video editing.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

OK then. Always good to have an absolute YES.

So, for the other drives:
In Disk Management, right click and DELETE whatever partitions you no longer want.
Format the resulting space, and give it a drive letter., and

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS