Adding to discontinued memory

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Hi,
So basically here is my dilemma.
I built a system last year, and I used GeIL Evo x RAM, 16gb, 3000 mhz, cas 15-17-17-35. I was hoping to add another 16gb kit, but GeIL has discontinued this product. With memory prices where they are now, what would my options be? Do i have to bite the bullet and just buy a $400 32gb kit? Or can i find another 16gb kit that would work with my current kit? Thank you in advance for any help with this.

Solution

Well that is the risk you take NastyNuggetz.

Very often they will work together but no guarantee and in most instances requires Bios changes to Primary Timings and voltage. It is worth trying if you have confidence in what your doing in Bios however, its...
It is never a good idea to mix RAM kits even with the same specs.
Here is an Authoritative overview of the problem: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

With today's ridiculous prices on RAM it would seem attractive to add to the mix and very often it can work but no guarantee and can be a frustrating exercise in futility. If you go that route just make sure you can return the kit if they don't work.
What is your need for 32GB.?

NastyNuggetz

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks for your response. I am a content creator and I find especially when rendering and during some gameplay my memory usage is upwards of 90%. When I built the system I always planned on adding another 16gb kit of the same model, I just didn't plan for GeIL to no longer make it.
Do you think if a I found a kit with the same timings and voltage etc. It would be worth trying? Or am I better off just avoiding the hassle and buying a full 32gb? Thanks again for your help.

Well that is the risk you take NastyNuggetz.

Very often they will work together but no guarantee and in most instances requires Bios changes to Primary Timings and voltage. It is worth trying if you have confidence in what your doing in Bios however, its when RAM demand exceeds 16GB and the new RAM comes into play where slight variations in Latency will crash the system. As a content creator you DO NOT want that so make sure you can return the new addition if issues arise.
I strongly advise to get a kit of 32GB and keep the other kit as spares.
If this is what you decide then choose a kit that is listed on the MB QVL at a speed and frequency your CPU and MB will support.
If you want help choosing a suitable 32GB kit then I can help. Just list your MB and CPU.?

Solution