Additional M.2 upgrade - compatibility with MB

Aug 12, 2018
Looking into installing an additional M.2 harddrive.

Current build:
MB: ASUS STRIX Z270E
CPU: i7 7700K 4.2GB
HDD: Crucial MX300 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s

My MB has two M.2 slots, I have installed my current M.2 in the M.2_1 slot (bottom one), since it does not work in the other slot. To my understanding, this is because my M.2 drive is SATA and not PCIe.

If I were to buy e.g. the Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, would that be able to be installed in the other M.2 slot? (M.2_2, side slot)?

And are there any compatibility issues with having these two different HDDs in my build simultaneously?

Solution
Your Z270E motherboard has its two M.2 slots configured to work as:

M2_1 (bottom slot) --> either SATA or PCIe
M2_2 (top slot) --> PCIe only

Your current M.2 SSD (the Crucial MX300) is a SATA-based device. This is the reason why it does not work when plugged on the top slot (M2_2), since M2_2 only supports PCIe-based device.

The new M.2 SSD you are planning to get (the Samsung 970 EVO) is a PCIe-based device. So, it will work on either the M2_1 or the M2_2.

Take note though that some SATA ports will be disabled:

Using a SATA-based device on the M2_1 slot (which you are currently using now)...
Your Z270E motherboard has its two M.2 slots configured to work as:

M2_1 (bottom slot) --> either SATA or PCIe
M2_2 (top slot) --> PCIe only

Your current M.2 SSD (the Crucial MX300) is a SATA-based device. This is the reason why it does not work when plugged on the top slot (M2_2), since M2_2 only supports PCIe-based device.

The new M.2 SSD you are planning to get (the Samsung 970 EVO) is a PCIe-based device. So, it will work on either the M2_1 or the M2_2.

Take note though that some SATA ports will be disabled:

Using a SATA-based device on the M2_1 slot (which you are currently using now), disables one SATA port (the SATA_1 port).

Using a PCIe-based device on the M2_2 slot (the one at the top that will only work with PCIe-based M.2 SSDs), disables two SATA ports (the SATA_5 and SATA_6 ports) - when the SSD is run at full x4 speeds.

So, this means that using both M.2 slots (Crucial MX300 on M2_1 and Samsung 970 EVO on M2_2 at full x4 speeds) will disable a total of three out of six SATA ports in the Z270E motherboard (you are left to use only the SATA_2, SATA_3, and SATA_4 for your typical HDDs and/or ODDs).

Reference: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/STRIX_Z270E_GAMING/E12192_STRIX_Z270E_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

Solution
Aug 12, 2018
Thank you @raisonjohn, this was a very elaborate answer. I dont currently use any other HDDs, so I dont presume that I will be needing my SATA ports anyways. I think I will go ahead and buy the new M.2 drive.

/ juhlers