Admin User changed to Standard User Startup Programs

shiftymcfly

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
I changed a user from admin to standard after creating a new admin account. When I boot into the standard user, I am prompted by UAC for the admin password for 4 programs to start. All the programs are ASUS utilities that came with my motherboard. I have checked the permissions of the programs and the User group has full control. Also, these programs do not show up in the MSCONFIG startup tab. I want the utilities to run but do not want to have to authenticate every time I boot. Any thoughts as to how to remedy this? Please and thank you.

Solution
G
Locate the executable files that are being started, check the Compatibility tab in the properties and see if "Run this program as an administrator" is checked in the Privilege Level section.

The software may require admin rights to run, this is poor design as the developers should have designed them to run as a service in that case.
Change the user account back to Admin and you won't get prompted for the programs to start. Either that or delete all the user accounts except for the Admin account and the create a user account for the person that you wanted to just change to a different name.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Logging in to an admin account, should allow you to change the permissions of a standard account as a second admin.
Anyway log into the new admin account. Select Manage another account at the bottom of the list presented.
Click on the account after that you want to change. select change account type.
Then set it as an Admin account.

shiftymcfly

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I don't want the standard user to be an admin, I also don't want to delete the user since the majority of my files are under that account name. I changed the user to standard because it is the one I use on a daily basis and for security reasons, I don't want it to be admin in case of intrusion or infection. Any other thoughts?

shiftymcfly

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
That is certainly a viable solution, thanks. Though I guess I am still wondering why the programs ask for credentials when users have full control. Still scratching my head on that one.

It must have something to do with the Asus utilities needing Admin rights to be loaded , but I can't see why. I wouldn't think that some utilities would need Admin rights to be loaded they can't be that inportant.
A question would be is do you need these utilities ?

shiftymcfly

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
So what I have found is that the programs are starting because there were events created in the task scheduler. I have found other people with the same problem and also other people with no solution. So at least I know how to stop them from loading at startup. I still can't find a fix for them requiring admin rights, maybe it is just how the software is desinged.

G

Locate the executable files that are being started, check the Compatibility tab in the properties and see if "Run this program as an administrator" is checked in the Privilege Level section.

The software may require admin rights to run, this is poor design as the developers should have designed them to run as a service in that case.

Solution

shiftymcfly

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
I did do that last night, but it was late and I was running a backup so I have yet to restart the computer and see if that eliviates the problem. My assumption is that it should. We shall see.

tacovendor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2014

This is obviously not the solution. The request was how to have the binaries run with elevated privileges without using an administrative account. Shame on you for recommending that someone use a less secure means of accessing their computer.