Question Adobe CS6 revisited

Jun 14, 2024
A little like the condition of our local high street and dusting the cobwebs away, I'm seeking the magic potion necessary to give new life to my magnificent old CS6 package; the last physical Adobe media version.

I am happy for it to remain resident on my old, HP Pavilion Media Center/m7775 that I added a Gforce 640 Graphics card and power unit in 2012. This more or less served its purpose despite the 4gb ram. I couldn't find way to increase the ram. I now need it to excel.
As far as I understand, Windows 7 Pro is its final operating system.

I've also started checking ebay and saw this (for example) below; a gaming machine. It hs enough RAM but I've no idea how AMD Graphics (with 1GB) performs. Can it be upgraded, Many thanks Bill

Intel CPU Cooling
500W Generic PSU
Gigabyte Z77A-DS3H Motherboard
AMD HD 5450 1GB Graphics
Core i5 3570K 3.40GHZ CPU
16GB DDR3 Memory
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Wi-Fi Dongle
Windows 7 Pro - Activated - No Media Provided

Jun 14, 2024
Thanks for getting back USAFRet

Good prompt on the fresh install; 2024 feels like I've landed from mars nd I may well have overlooked the hazards of that.

The short answer; security and convenience of what I know; also because it's bona fide; I don't need to concern myself with legitimacy. I'm no longer at the sharp end of anything apart from life. I like the idea of giving an old system a long, dedicated and productive life (video editing and Photoshop).
I'm out of touch and never knew there was a free Adobe version (without significant snares) probably because I'm well into my 70s's and busy trying to do the many things that computers are useful for.
Life gets no simpler and whatever knowledge of computing I once had has simply evaporated with my adoption of oven ready laptops and more recent operating systems (that don't run CS6)...
also
Also I have previous experience of the package; I used various components of the Adobe suite in the past.
Whatever systems awareness I once had has now slipped into history and current software now presents as something approaching a mystery... posing more questions than answers.
I'm out of touch and thought I would give Tom's hardware a spin.

I have a great deal of video stuff I've been asked to edit. Photoshop is a package I'm used to.
Cmybe its not such a great idea lol

Jun 14, 2024
" HitFilm Express, or DaVinci Resolve are full featured video editors, free.
GIMP, paint.net for free image editors.
PaintShop for relatively low cost image and video editors
"

Many thanks again USAFret.
Time passes and things change.
I value your points and will explore them on my high-end but aging Lenovo running Windows 10.

I don't understand the premise of the question. CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 all will install and activate on Windows 10 or Windows 11 despite the lack of official support. CS4 and older may well install but the activation server for those has been shut off for ages now.

If you only use them to edit your own files and not to open files downloaded from the internet (Windows 10 will by default redirect opening pdfs away from outdated software like your Acrobat toward a browser, for example), then the age and security of the vintage software shouldn't matter.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
You will need to open a support chat with Adobe to activate with your legit code as the old activation servers aren't online any more. Be prepared for the chat agent hammering you with attempts to up-sell a subscription. But persist (since you legally have a perpetual licence) and they should give you a new offline code.

You may also need to turn off Adobe Creative Cloud client updates, to stop it breaking your CS6 installation. But you shouldn't be online with Win7 anyway. From memory, CS5 was the last version that you could install offline without mandating CC client.

I went through this a few years ago. Can't vouch for the process in 2024.

Edit: and what you're considering is totally legit. I've worked with several pro studios/labs that still keep dusty beige boxes alive on WinXP because their high res media scanners don't have SCSI or Firewire drivers that work with anything newer than WinXP or 7.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2024
I don't understand the premise of the question. CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 all will install and activate on Windows 10 or Windows 11 despite the lack of official support. CS4 and older may well install but the activation server for those has been shut off for ages now.

If you only use them to edit your own files and not to open files downloaded from the internet (Windows 10 will by default redirect opening pdfs away from outdated software like your Acrobat toward a browser, for example), then the age and security of the vintage software shouldn't matter.
Many Thanks BFG, " I don't understand the premise of the question "

Understandably so. That will be because I've come to rest on the premise that CS6 would not install on any OS beyond 7Pro; so I've never tried. Also their activation process was a bit daunting the last time I did it.
With Operating Systems I am all too aware of the chain reaction; the domino effect doesn't falter... the built in promise of obsolescence forever looms and new iterations close down and destabilize what were once perfectly functional software ecosystems I don't want to leave.

Hardware evolution adds to that of course... RAM compatibility... overclocking... something settings... everything changes including the rules. Fascinating to have the time to observe in detail over the decades and easy enough perhaps if I were to keep abreast with developments but I don't have the time or the funds hence, in the absence of my dear engineering friend, my awkward, many headed question of this dynamic realm to the forum. Thanks for that

Jun 14, 2024
You will need to open a support chat with Adobe to activate with your legit code as the old activation servers aren't online any more. Be prepared for the chat agent hammering you with attempts to up-sell a subscription. But persist (since you legally have a perpetual licence) and they should give you a new offline code.

You may also need to turn off Adobe Creative Cloud client updates, to stop it breaking your CS6 installation. But you shouldn't be online with Win7 anyway. From memory, CS5 was the last version that you could install offline without mandating CC client.

I went through this a few years ago. Can't vouch for the process in 2024.

Edit: and what you're considering is totally legit. I've worked with several pro studios/labs that still keep dusty beige boxes alive on WinXP because their high res media scanners don't have SCSI or Firewire drivers that work with anything newer than WinXP or 7.
Many thanks NedSmelly. Valuable and motivating advice.

Understandable that these systems are still in use in the Production Industry; the original investments were so great as well as so completely functional, it's understandable that firms would do everything to maintain the life of that hardware because it does what they want it to do.
My hardware challenge is humble in comparison but there's still an overwhelming desire to cling onto a functioning ecosystem because, if I get it right, it will still do what I need it to do.
'Perpetual' brings something; a foundation in which to work to do other difficult things in this dynamic technical realm.
The perfect answer would be to simply revisit my original and slightly adjusted tower system and see what else I can bring to it in 2024. I will look closely at the spec and see how I can safely add some RAM for starters; maybe its not possible. Many thanks Ned

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
No worries. In terms of capability, a 3rd gen i7 (Ivy Bridge) with 16GB RAM is serviceable for CS6. The graphics card is also OK - 1GB VRAM was actually pretty good for its time and within the Adobe recommended specs.

There are several yellow flags to consider with that used system you mentioned. One is the age of the power supply, and one is its 'gaming' history with K-tier CPU. As long as it hasn't got physical damage or blown caps etc., it's a passable motherboard. It even has an mSATA SSD slot. Just be cautious if it was 'gaming' in a previous life, as a K processor might have had the snot overclocked out of it. But otherwise it should be capable enough for general photo work and even light 1080p video editing.

I wouldn't spend much money on it. Maybe just replace the PSU and find a cheap mSATA SSD to use as boot drive. As mentioned, make sure it comes with a working Win7 activation code (eg retail box or hologram sticker).

Jun 14, 2024
No worries. In terms of capability, a 3rd gen i7 (Ivy Bridge) with 16GB RAM is serviceable for CS6. The graphics card is also OK - 1GB VRAM was actually pretty good for its time and within the Adobe recommended specs.

There are several yellow flags to consider with that used system you mentioned. One is the age of the power supply, and one is its 'gaming' history with K-tier CPU. As long as it hasn't got physical damage or blown caps etc., it's a passable motherboard. It even has an mSATA SSD slot. Just be cautious if it was 'gaming' in a previous life, as a K processor might have had the snot overclocked out of it. But otherwise it should be capable enough for general photo work and even light 1080p video editing.

I wouldn't spend much money on it. Maybe just replace the PSU and find a cheap mSATA SSD to use as boot drive. As mentioned, make sure it comes with a working Win7 activation code (eg retail box or hologram sticker).
many thank for your assessment and advice Ned. Plenty to think about in total. I can revive the old system, upgrade cautiously, as advised and even bring in some free software on my Windows 10 laptop (that demands I move to 11).
Usefully, I have my old Win 7Pro (with hologram) that should work for a compete reinstall; I presume I can still engage with the activation process.
On fleabay I can t least ask a seller if its been overclocked etc and yes, if I had such a system to run CS6 I would be happy to replace some parts. Many thanks