[SOLVED] Adobe Reader is force installing Chrome extensions again? How? Chrome Extensions safety.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello everyone, i have a huge privacy concern with browser extensions. I knew that Adobe Reader (free version of Acrobat) used to install a Chrome extension back in 2017, i even stop using it because of that. Started using it a year ago and now after a fresh format, i installed reader and blocked every Adobe connection with the firewall. After half an hour it did an update and some how installed a Chrome extension. Chrome is my main browser and i use it for banking etc etc... So here are a few questions...

Since when it started installing the extension?
Should i worry about this extension? I removed it from more tools > Extensions.
How did Adobe Reader updated and installed an extension if every connection was blocked by the firewall?

It worries me since i also have third party and open source software i installed the same day. My main concern it might be malware form Adobe or maybe another software i installed the same day. Thanks

Last edited:
Solution

No clue.

It's bloatware and other than reducing your screen space (adding another toolbar to Chrome), it isn't harmful (AFAIK).

How did Adobe Reader updated and installed an extension if every connection was blocked by the firewall?

That toolbar is bundled within the update itself. Meaning when you update your Adobe Reader, it will install toolbar as well. So, no matter what you block from firewall, it doesn't help.

More sensible software includes checkbox within installer, so you can opt out from bloatware. E.g Ccleaner also pushes bloatware (if i remember correctly, McAfee) but...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

No clue.

It's bloatware and other than reducing your screen space (adding another toolbar to Chrome), it isn't harmful (AFAIK).

That toolbar is bundled within the update itself. Meaning when you update your Adobe Reader, it will install toolbar as well. So, no matter what you block from firewall, it doesn't help.

More sensible software includes checkbox within installer, so you can opt out from bloatware. E.g Ccleaner also pushes bloatware (if i remember correctly, McAfee) but you have checkbox which you can unmark, if you don't want bloatware.

Btw, any particular reason why you use Adobe Reader? Rather than using alternative, open source and freeware software instead? :unsure:

Solution

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013

Well that is why i block every connection so it cant update. I even remember blocking it when it asked and checking the connection rules and only the browser was allowed.

Btw, any particular reason why you use Adobe Reader? Rather than using alternative, open source and freeware software instead? :unsure:

I actually prefer well known proven open source software over comercial software but for something as simple as a PDF viewer to avoid using the browser as a viewer why do the research? I tried fox it along time ago but i dont remember why i switched back.

Any recommendation? Something with no add ons, simple for windows 11 and maybe with full features like Acrobat Pro?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but for something as simple as a PDF viewer

I use SumatraPDF,
link: https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader

Doesn't have much features, but to view *.pdf files, it is all i need. Though, for additional feature, it opens several *.pdf files as a "new tab", just like in browser. IMO very handy feature when viewing several *.pdf files. Also, it remembers which files you had opened, so, when you open *.pdf file, it opens previous ones as "tabs" as well. You can also kill the open "tabs", just like in browser.

Btw, i've used it since WinXP era. :LOL:

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
I use SumatraPDF,
link: https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader

Doesn't have much features, but to view *.pdf files, it is all i need. Though, for additional feature, it opens several *.pdf files as a "new tab", just like in browser. IMO very handy feature when viewing several *.pdf files. Also, it remembers which files you had opened, so, when you open *.pdf file, it opens previous ones as "tabs" as well. You can also kill the open "tabs", just like in browser.

Btw, i've used it since WinXP era. :LOL:

Thanks for the reply, i think i will switch and do the research and get something similar to acrobat that let me edits but open source. thanks.