Adobe Unleashes GPU-Powered Flash Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

WHERE'S THE BEEF! (64-Bit Flash Player for Windows)

- Now if only Adobe would get off their lazy butts, maybe they could provide better tech support for their products and at the same time, get a 64-Bit Flash player out for Windows users.

WAKE UP Adobe, this Ain't the Stone Age any more!

[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]WHERE'S THE BEEF! (64-Bit Flash Player for Windows) - Now if only Adobe would get off their lazy butts, maybe they could provide better tech support for their products and at the same time, get a 64-Bit Flash player out for Windows users.WAKE UP Adobe, this Ain't the Stone Age any more![/citation]
Agreed! esp. considering that they have x64 CS4,etc.

G

And I hear that their tech support for CS4 sucks.

Just go to Amazon sometime and read the reviews for CS4 PhotoShop.
You'll find out a lot about their support, most of it not so good.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Bet it still won't work right on Terminal Servers....Idiots at Adobe can't do anything right. Unless you count jacking up a good companies products (Macromedia) by buying them out, a good thing.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Hopefully this will mean they finally got around to properly multi-threading flash... Somehow I doubt it... And what about x64? Flash is falling behind, and this keeps up something like Microsoft's Silverlight is going to replace it.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
The problem I see with this is that the swfs will have to be compiled for flash player 10.1 to work with this - meaning it will not help anyone really because web designers (myself included) generally compile for older versions of flash to ensure compatibility with the old decrepit outdated systems that make up the majority of computers out there, however in 3 years when we start it will be kick ass!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
what the hell do you need a 64 bit flash player for? are you really hitting the 2GB memory limit with your flash game??
because THATS THE ONLY REASON YOU NEED A 64 BIT VERSION! a 64 bit version wouldn't be faster, in fact it would most likely be slower if anything! all the 64 bit operations and 2 simultaneous 32 bit operations are all already being done in the 32 bit version, in fact you don't even need a 64bit operating system to get the speed boosts from a 64 bit processor. the only thing a 64bit app and a 64bit operating system lets you do is have 64 bit memory pointers - it allows you to use more than 2 or 4 gig of ram. as you may have guessed the only change performance wise between a 32 bit app and a 64 bit app is the pointers are twice as big, meaning they take up more memory, and more data needs to be copied to and from the processor for pointer operations.

biofrog

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
c0r3f1ght3r, firefox might stop crashing, but for a wonderful tradeoff I can see Windows might start bluescreening..

biofrog

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
[citation][nom]c0r3f1ght3r[/nom]YAY maybe now firefox will stop crashing...[/citation]

Firefox might stop crashing, but for a wonderful tradeoff I can see Windows might start bluescreening..

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Flash has evolved from a cartoon creation tool to a very poor work around web standards compliance and companies inability to agree on html 5 standards. Its a sad state that I can either have my browser crash or avoid 95% of web sites. Flash is a great tool but it certainly not a very good replacement for standard html. At least now I can watch videos on my netbook.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]what the hell do you need a 64 bit flash player for? are you really hitting the 2GB memory limit with your flash game??because THATS THE ONLY REASON YOU NEED A 64 BIT VERSION! a 64 bit version wouldn't be faster, in fact it would most likely be slower if anything! all the 64 bit operations and 2 simultaneous 32 bit operations are all already being done in the 32 bit version, in fact you don't even need a 64bit operating system to get the speed boosts from a 64 bit processor. the only thing a 64bit app and a 64bit operating system lets you do is have 64 bit memory pointers - it allows you to use more than 2 or 4 gig of ram. as you may have guessed the only change performance wise between a 32 bit app and a 64 bit app is the pointers are twice as big, meaning they take up more memory, and more data needs to be copied to and from the processor for pointer operations.[/citation]
We want a 64 bit flash player partly because we want to standardize 64 bit over 32 bit (and the rare yet persistant 16 bit). That, and 64 bit FireFox does not support a 32 bit flash player...

Haven't they been saying they were going to put out a GPU accerlerated flash player for years now?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]what the hell do you need a 64 bit flash player for? are you really hitting the 2GB memory limit with your flash game??because THATS THE ONLY REASON YOU NEED A 64 BIT VERSION! a 64 bit version wouldn't be faster, in fact it would most likely be slower if anything! [/citation]

http://www.favbrowser.com/firefox-32-bit-x86-vs-firefox-64-bit-x64/

No performance gain eh? Read em and weep.

G

We need a 64-bit flash player because 64-bit browsers do not support 32-bit add ons.

zentrope

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
thats true we dont require a 64bit flash player bcoz we are not using our memory for any flash based gaming to that extent..
but,its just a support required for browsing to its optimum level for 64bit browsers that donot support 32bit flash players...

for photoshop cs4,i know its service support is not gud and also the software is sluggish and thats the reason im still using cs3..hope we get a x64 variant soon..

Status
Not open for further replies.