News Adrenalin 23.7.2 Marks Return of 'Bad' AMD Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Where did the "reliability" bugs come into play here? Sure, the performance tanks. All I see is a driver that misidentifies the integrated GPU, only on 7x40 APUs, and the only result is reduced performance. That's not a reliability issue, and the title of this article is fearmongering. Run DDU and load the previous driver. Gosh.

I do not know if this is labeled as an opinion piece because it definitely should be. There is nothing but far reaching mistruths in the title meant as a cheap way to pass off something dire as news when in reality is an extremally specific bug unrelated to the drivers themselves. I have had more bugs on Nvidia cards than I ever did on any of my AMD cards, the only difference between me and this "Freelance" journalist I can see is that this anecdotal experience I have has not colored my writing. How about, "AMD Bug Misinterprets APU Names, Installs the Wrong Drivers."

Jul 28, 2023
Where did the "reliability" bugs come into play here? Sure, the performance tanks. All I see is a driver that misidentifies the integrated GPU, only on 7x40 APUs, and the only result is reduced performance. That's not a reliability issue, and the title of this article is fearmongering. Run DDU and load the previous driver. Gosh.
It's useful to find out that other users have had similar problems - that way, I know the problem is not with my own system.

If there's some hyperbole in the way it's conveyed, that's obvious going to upset people with irrational brand sensitivities, but it's actually just a relief to me that it's not just my hardware that's playing up. So overall, I'm grateful to TH for raising the issue.

A niche case performance issue with misidentification doesn't make for a bad driver. Having a driver crash your operating system, or destroy hardware makes for a bad driver, this driver just has a bug. At least it has been a little while since anyone has released a driver that killed hardware.

ubronan

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Well lol i kinda instant think man clear the old drivers with DDU and reinstall :) as said earlier
Most common mistake people make is asuming the new driver installer can delete the problematic garbage leftovers
Another tip i can give to have less driver issues is do not install the programs at all just the driver then you can almost always just run the new installer and set it driver only and behold this far never had an issue.

Reactions: PEnns and artk2219

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
A niche case performance issue with misidentification doesn't make for a bad driver. Having a driver crash your operating system, or destroy hardware makes for a bad driver, this driver just has a bug. At least it has been a little while since anyone has released a driver that killed hardware.

Listen you, this doesn't pay with green AI money, hush.

Reactions: artk2219
Oct 22, 2022
Upgraded yesterday for my new 7900xtx, and it totally broke. My resolution dropped to VGA and nothing I could do would fix that. Ended up downgrading to the older version, which works flawlessly.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Allow me to add corroboration.

I had this PRECISE same problem on my GPD Win Max 2 2023 - 7840U. I installed the driver, it misidentified it as a 760M and tanked performance by around a third from whatever driver GPD had installed.
This somehow reminds me about the network cards made by realtek.
There were so many clones and variants that Windows Update would force one type of drivers even if you attempted to install the correct ones.
So you kept getting weird phenomena.

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I do not know if this is labeled as an opinion piece because it definitely should be. There is nothing but far reaching mistruths in the title meant as a cheap way to pass off something dire as news when in reality is an extremally specific bug unrelated to the drivers themselves. I have had more bugs on Nvidia cards than I ever did on any of my AMD cards, the only difference between me and this "Freelance" journalist I can see is that this anecdotal experience I have has not colored my writing. How about, "AMD Bug Misinterprets APU Names, Installs the Wrong Drivers."
Really. What bugs would they be and on how many GPUs? I can say I've owned well over a dozen Nvidia GPUs and still use one in all 8 of my family PCs and gaming laptops. I only have had some issues with Shadowplay a couple times in the past 10 years. Other than that nothing noticeable.
I guess you could count the CPU usage thing but I never noticed a drop in performance because I wasn't aware of it.
Bad gaming ports don't count as bugs either.
Nvidia does way more major driver updates than AMD per year which includes creative uses. Therefore, there may be a higher chance of small quirks but percentage wise AMD has more issues.
And yes I've seen videos on how AMD doesn't have bad drivers. Well, a lot is left out of the argument unfortunately in favor of AMD. But that's how AMD marketing goons roll.

But for now, it seems to be heavily affecting AMD's mobile Ryzen 7000 series processors, with nobody talking about these bugs with desktop Radeon graphics cards.
Wow, this is super click-bait. Why not make a title that properly reflects the contents of the article, an issue that according to the article itself is only known to affect one mobile integrated graphics chipset used on a relatively small number of devices released this year. And the subheading is even worse...

Adrenalin 23.7.2 Marks Return of 'Bad' AMD Drivers​

AMD's latest driver commits "identity theft" on its parent GPU, and can disconnect internal devices.
Nice way to make it sound as though the driver is stealing user information or something. Who writes these titles, Jensen Huang? How hard would it be to name the article something more informative and less manipulative like "Latest AMD driver causes problems with certain mobile devices"? Using terms like "identity theft" makes me wonder if someone on the staff is attempting to manipulate stock prices or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.