News Adrenalin 23.7.2 Marks Return of 'Bad' AMD Drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zx128k

Reputable
Wow, this is super click-bait. Why not make a title that properly reflects the contents of the article, an issue that according to the article itself is only known to affect one mobile integrated graphics chipset used on a relatively small number of devices released this year. And the subheading is even worse...

Nice way to make it sound as though the driver is stealing user information or something. Who writes these titles, Jensen Huang? How hard would it be to name the article something more informative and less manipulative like "Latest AMD driver causes problems with certain mobile devices"? Using terms like "identity theft" makes me wonder if someone on the staff is attempting to manipulate stock prices or something.
Most people don't use dGPUs, they use iGPUs. So laptops and desktops with iGPUs can be affected. Many people use both the iGPU and dGPU together. If you have an nVidia card, then this is to stop multi-monitor issues like freezing etc in games like Diablo 4 for example. Here you will likely be using an Intel iGPU.

Identity theft is just a way to say the gpu is not identified correctly. NVidia have some bad issues as well with some drivers. Just dont install it if you are affected.

Reactions: KyaraM
Really. What bugs would they be and on how many GPUs? I can say I've owned well over a dozen Nvidia GPUs and still use one in all 8 of my family PCs and gaming laptops. I only have had some issues with Shadowplay a couple times in the past 10 years. Other than that nothing noticeable.
I guess you could count the CPU usage thing but I never noticed a drop in performance because I wasn't aware of it.
Bad gaming ports don't count as bugs either.
Nvidia does way more major driver updates than AMD per year which includes creative uses. Therefore, there may be a higher chance of small quirks but percentage wise AMD has more issues.
And yes I've seen videos on how AMD doesn't have bad drivers. Well, a lot is left out of the argument unfortunately in favor of AMD. But that's how AMD marketing goons roll.
I could just list my issues with what cards I have owned and what types of PCs they were in as a way to provide unbiased analysis of my opinion, but I feel its going to be primarily a waste of my evening. I mean no disrespect to you, personally. I will say that, in substantially less detail than originally intended, I have had tons of bugs on Nvidia cards that I have not experienced on AMD cards related to; multimonitor support, idle power drawn, unexplainable idle CPU usage, driver crashing during video playback and playing a game at the same time, neither of which were particularly demanding, and constantly having to use DDU to remove remnants of prior driver installations that plagued me with all sorts of issues. I have owned a 580, 770, 970, 1060, 2070 super, and a 3080. The beginning half of those cards were in my 3570k build with an MSI and Asrock motherboards throughout its life and the latter half have been in the PC in my signature. I have a nearly as long list of issues with AMD but none, besides 2, were as annoying and hard to track down as all of the previous. Some issues of which I am still plagued with which include high idle power draws from my 3080, and encode and decode issues while watching Youtube videos.

zx128k

Reputable
I could just list my issues with what cards I have owned and what types of PCs they were in as a way to provide unbiased analysis of my opinion, but I feel its going to be primarily a waste of my evening. I mean no disrespect to you, personally. I will say that, in substantially less detail than originally intended, I have had tons of bugs on Nvidia cards that I have not experienced on AMD cards related to; multimonitor support, idle power drawn, unexplainable idle CPU usage, driver crashing during video playback and playing a game at the same time, neither of which were particularly demanding, and constantly having to use DDU to remove remnants of prior driver installations that plagued me with all sorts of issues. I have owned a 580, 770, 970, 1060, 2070 super, and a 3080. The beginning half of those cards were in my 3570k build with an MSI and Asrock motherboards throughout its life and the latter half have been in the PC in my signature. I have a nearly as long list of issues with AMD but none, besides 2, were as annoying and hard to track down as all of the previous. Some issues of which I am still plagued with which include high idle power draws from my 3080, and encode and decode issues while watching Youtube videos.
When the RTX 3080 came out they were boosting too high and crashing in games. The multi-monitor problems never seem to get fixed.

Reactions: helper800
Jul 31, 2023
Updated to the very latest drivers yesterday and I’m having similar issues. Randomly USB devices disconnect and reconnect. Also keep losing my USB-C hub which powers my second 4K display (randomly), and these are the drivers for an ASUS ROG Strix laptop (G513QY) with Ryzen 9 5900 and Radeon 6800m graphics. Hopefully these AMD driver issues can be fixed / resolved and also the Adrenaline software keeps crashing anytime I try to enter the AMD software or configure the displays using the very latest AMD Adrenaline software.

zx128k

Reputable
Updated to the very latest drivers yesterday and I’m having similar issues. Randomly USB devices disconnect and reconnect. Also keep losing my USB-C hub which powers my second 4K display (randomly), and these are the drivers for an ASUS ROG Strix laptop (G513QY) with Ryzen 9 5900 and Radeon 6800m graphics. Hopefully these AMD driver issues can be fixed / resolved and also the Adrenaline software keeps crashing anytime I try to enter the AMD software or configure the displays using the very latest AMD Adrenaline software.
You can use DDU to clean out the drivers and then reinstall the latest working version. Just trying to help, so if you have already done that then just ignore my post.

Jul 31, 2023
You can use DDU to clean out the drivers and then reinstall the latest working version. Just trying to help, so if you have already done that then just ignore my post.
I already used DDU. It doesn’t help. I also spent two hours on the phone with ASUS tech support and they confirmed that there are “driver issues” causing problems with the very latest AMD Adrenaline driver update. Couldn’t get a second display to work and the HDMI port wouldn’t work (after the latest AMD driver update). ASUS did walk me through uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and several reboots later the external displays are working now (after reverting to the previous driver).

I did manage to get the latest update working, but I do get random external monitor disconnects and also random USB disconnects / reconnects.

Jul 31, 2023
I’ve lost about 15-25fps in CyberPunk and several other games using the latest AMD drivers. Reverting back to 24.4.2 WHQL seems to fix the problems. Also I do have random USB disconnects and reconnects when using the very latest AMD Adrenaline drivers.

This is on an ASUS ROG Strix laptop (G513QY) with Ryzen 9 5900 and Radeon 6800m graphics.

Hopefully these AMD driver issues can be fixed / resolved and also the latest Adrenaline software keeps crashing anytime I try to enter the AMD software or configure the displays using the very latest AMD Adrenaline software.

I have used DDU and reverted back to the old drivers (24.4.2 WHQL) until this can be resolved and fixed.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
lol one tweet is the source?

I'm using these drivers with no issues.
funny the last 2 driver updates have seemed to decrease temps on my 7900xtx and kept FPS high ..
so 100% same im having no issues with the latest AMD drivers !!

Only issue ive ever had was a the card would clock to 3k and black screen crash while watching you tube videos .. at first boot once reset it was fine .. NOT bad when i currently own 4 AMD gpus and that was the only issue had in 4 years ..
That said it has been fixed now though driver updates!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli
Jul 31, 2023
funny the last 2 driver updates have seemed to decrease temps on my 7900xtx and kept FPS high ..
so 100% same im having no issues with the latest AMD drivers !!
If you read the comments in other forums and even on this one as well, it seems that the issues are with mobile devices (AMD mobile processors with APU / iGPU) and mostly AMD laptops (with AMD iGPUs / AMD dGPUs).

Desktops with external graphics cards don’t seem to be affected. The driver problems seem to affect laptops and mobile processors with AMD iGPU and AMD dGPU (mostly laptops and AMD mobile processors).

I have an ASUS ROG Strix laptop (AMD Advantage) that has all of the same problems described in this article as well as been confirmed by ASUS technical support (as users have been flooding ASUS laptop tech support with drivers issues when they update to the very latest Adrenaline software and have both an AMD Processor (Ryzen 9 5900HX) and AMD dedicated graphics (Radeon 6800m).

The latest drivers cause random USB disconnects and also random HDMI disconnects (for external displays). Both using the HDMI port and also the USB-C port (with a 4K video hub).

DDU and reverting back to the old drivers fixes all the problems. Also there was definitely 15-25fps drop using the latest Adrenaline drivers on AMD graphics laptops.

Last edited:

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
If you read the comments in other forums and even on this one as well, it seems that the issues are with mobile devices (mobile processors with APU / iGPU) and mostly laptops.

Desktops with external graphics cards don’t seem to be affected. The driver problems seem to affect laptops and mobile processors with iGPU and dGPU.

I have an ASUS ROG Strix laptop (AMD Advantage) that has all of the same problems described in this article as well as been confirmed by ASUS technical support (as users have been flooding ASUS laptop tech support with drivers issues when they update to the very latest Adrenaline software and have both an AMD Processor (Ryzen 9 5900HX) and AMD dedicated graphics (Radeon 6800m).

The latest drivers cause random USB disconnects and also random HDMI disconnects (for external displays). Both using the HDMI port and also the USB-C port (with a 4K video hub).

DDU and reverting back to the old drivers fixes all the problems. Also there was definitely 15-25fps drop using the latest Adrenaline drivers on AMD graphics laptops.
problem is these threads dont specifically say rdna3 or mobile parts ..

which is what USUALLY Nvidia fan boys only reason to jump back on the AMD driver's are bad bandwagon AGAIN..

So i usually defend AMD drivers when they work correctly because if they dont i want them fixed and fixed quick otherwise out the window for the competition !!

im sorry you are having issues im sure AMD will sort these issues out if enough people have reported the issues !!

Reactions: Makaveli

zx128k

Reputable
I have a major problem with current nVidia drivers and Diablo4. I had to move my second monitor onto my Intel igpu. Having both monitors on my RTX 3080 TI appears to cause diablo 4 to stutter and freeze. There is no roll back that works for me. At least with this AMD driver an older release fixes the issues.

No one wants these issues. One or my laptops has a AMD cpu and an AMD igpu. I have an 3800x system with an AMD dgpu. You wont get me installing this driver on my laptop and 3800x system. I am happy getting the warming.

zx128k

Reputable
Aren't laptop displays still locked to using OEM drivers or can you now just install regular desktop drivers?
There are people reporting issues with the 6800M. From a post above.

Carsten1234

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
lol one tweet is the source?

I'm using these drivers with no issues.
lol is one user (i.e. you) the source for that the drivers have no issue...

Anyway, I rolled back 23.7.2 to 23.5.2 because of issues in Rocket League since 23.7.1 (persistent shaders) and stuttering in Diablo4, increased frequency of crashes and noticeably higher power draw from my GPU (6950 XT) and was googling for any known issues and ended up here.

lol is one user (i.e. you) the source for that the drivers have no issue...

Anyway, I rolled back 23.7.2 to 23.5.2 because of issues in Rocket League since 23.7.1 (persistent shaders) and stuttering in Diablo4, increased frequency of crashes and noticeably higher power draw from my GPU (6950 XT) and was googling for any known issues and ended up here.
I know many people using RDNA3 hardware and no issues.

And you can be sure if this driver was this bad there would be threads on reddit about it and there are none.

None of my people play Diablo 4 though so I cannot speak on that game. And to be honest most of these last few drivers are targeting RDNA 3 not 2. So for you I would stay on 23.5.2

Most people don't use dGPUs, they use iGPUs. So laptops and desktops with iGPUs can be affected.
Most of those using iGPUs are not installing the latest drivers as soon as they come out either. And the number of devices using these specific impacted iGPUs is tiny compared to the overall install-base of AMD hardware that appears to be unaffected.

Identity theft is just a way to say the gpu is not identified correctly.
No, that is just a terrible way to say that. It makes zero sense to anyone reading the heading prior to reading the article, and only implies that something related to malware might be going on. And keep in mind, lots of people will see that who never actually read the article, giving them the false impression that there's some far more serious issue. The article's title and subheading are pure click-bait, potentially bordering on being malicious.

zx128k

Reputable
Most of those using iGPUs are not installing the latest drivers as soon as they come out either. And the number of devices using these specific impacted iGPUs is tiny compared to the overall install-base of AMD hardware that appears to be unaffected.

No, that is just a terrible way to say that. It makes zero sense to anyone reading the heading prior to reading the article, and only implies that something related to malware might be going on. And keep in mind, lots of people will see that who never actually read the article, giving them the false impression that there's some far more serious issue. The article's title and subheading are pure click-bait, potentially bordering on being malicious.
Why post that non-sense? There is nothing wrong here. I'm not here to make Intel/nVidia/AMD look better or worse. These drivers have bad bugs for many people.

Last edited:
Why post that non-sense? There is nothing wrong here. I'm not here to make Intel/nVidia/AMD look better or worse. These drivers have bad bugs for many people.
The problem is with the title and subheading of the article being bad, and unless you wrote the title for this article, I don't see much point in defending it. The title is mostly non-descriptive of what the actual issue is, and uses deceptive language to encourage more people to click on and waste their time with an article that they probably wouldn't have otherwise been all that interested in, likely for the sole reason of maximizing ad revenue from page views. That kind of thing should be discouraged, as it only perpetuates inaccurate information and makes the site appear less reputable.

zx128k

Reputable
The problem is with the title and subheading of the article being bad, and unless you wrote the title for this article, I don't see much point in defending it. The title is mostly non-descriptive of what the actual issue is, and uses deceptive language to encourage more people to click on and waste their time with an article that they probably wouldn't have otherwise been all that interested in, likely for the sole reason of maximizing ad revenue from page views. That kind of thing should be discouraged, as it only perpetuates inaccurate information and makes the site appear less reputable.
There is no issue with the title, such titles are used against nVidia all the time. nVidia cap issue and power connector problems come to mnd. Cap issue, was a driver problem.

AMD have their share of bad drivers. Another example is corrupting windows.

AMD Confirms Its GPU Drivers Are Overclocking CPUs Without Asking.

Companies are held account by bad press coverage.

Last edited:

docboy

Prominent
Jun 1, 2023
I just saw this thread.

Just completed a new build: i7-13700k, Peerless Assasasin 120, Asrock Pro Z790 RS Wifi, 32 GB DDR5 5600 RAM (2x16GB Corsair Vengeance), 2 TB WD Black SN850X NVMe.2, XFX Radeon 6950XT, Corsair 1000W PSU, Win 11 Home. Using Adrenaline 23.7.2.

System keeps crashing when playing Starcraft 2 and Heroes of the Storm ~12-15 minutes into the game (Screen turns completely green, no error codes, no words, need to force a reboot). Windows event viewer keeps showing fatal hardware error even ID1 after each green screen crash. Bios updated. CPU temps ~30 degrees C at idle. Did Windows RAM stress test, Intel CPU test, Adrenaline GPU stress test, all passed. Switched from 1 to now using 2 PCIe cables from PSU to the GPU, and disabled MPO.

So now I'm thinking if Adrenaline is to blame? Where does one get a copy of 23.5.2 to try?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.