Advice about choosing a new GPU

SoilBurn

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Hi,
I have noticed that my current GPU overheats and does not live up to the demands of the latest games.

My current system configuration is the following:

Processor: IntelCore i7-920 /2,66GHz
Motherboard: Asus P6T - Sockel 1366 X58
GPU: NVidia GF GTX285 1024MB
RAM: 6GB DDR3 PC1333

Questions:
1. Is it worth updating the GPU and keeping the rest of the system as it is or does it need an overall update?
2. If a GPU update is recommended, what should I choose? I am a NVIDIA fan and like to play games at their highest graphics settings. My budget is about $300-400 for the GPU (but would gladly spend a bit less if the result is comparable with the same system).

Thank you!

akensai

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Your system in general does need a bit of an upgrade but that can likely hold out a bit longer, my suggestion would be to replace things one at a time once you have the funds available.

As for the GPU, you could save a good portion of what you have available and go for an HD 7870 or R9 270x, the 770 is an amazing card but I wouldn't consider it as worth the cost where I definitely would for the 270x. I understand you are an Nvidia fan but you shouldn't let that hold you back, spent years refusing to buy AMD cards and all it got me was spending more money.

In any case, if you are really die-hard of Nvidia the 770 is great performance at a somewhat okay cost, but you would likely do better with a 760. Your CPU will end up bottleknecking the 770 in newer games but if you plan to upgrade that then go for it.

agree absolutely, at any point in time there will always be a bottleneck, having the bottleneck as being the next thing that you plan to replace will mean that when you do replace it you'll actually get a benefit.

SoilBurn

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
You are great everyone, thanks for the awesome advice.

In order for me to get things prioritized: What should I plan to replace next? Any specific recommendations?
The budget issue is not a major one as I have been planning to upgrade my hardware for a while.