[SOLVED] Advice and verification for my amateur diagnostics please!

Jan 1, 2023
Hi and happy new year all!

Sorry for the long first post, didn't want to waste anyone's time by missing anything important, hope that's ok.

My four year old desktop, with a nine year old graphics card, has decided it would be a great start to the new year if it up and died without warning. The whole rig stopped and both displays went white. I rebooted and a series of horizontal red bars appeared, followed by system repair. Tried automatic repair which didn't work, then tried to get to UEFI. The system rebooted then hung on the Microsoft loading screen (pics attached). I tried the obvious: turn off and leave, removing peripherals, cleaning dust from inside and out, letting the system cool, resetting the CMOS battery but still nothing.

The system seemed to be POSTing ok, beeping once when turned on, then another beep a few seconds later. I honestly can't remember if this is what it always did, or if the additional beep was new. It's an ASUS® PRIME A320M-K board meaning, I believe, that one short beep is a DRAM refresh failure, so I removed and replaced each of the DRAM modules, including in different slots. After than the code changed to one long and two short beeps, which I believe is a VRAM failure. Tried removing and reseating the graphics card, but the code still persists.

EDIT: Forgot to mention initially, there is a solid orange light showing below the PCI-E slot the graphics card is in on the mobo. Was previously pulsing, but now solid. Not sure if that's an error code, as some posts on other sites indicated it was an indicator LED for the audio on this brand of mobo. Don't know if it ever showed up before.

System specs are as follows:

Date of purchase: Jan 2019. Graphics card from old PC purchased March 2014.
FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six Core CPU (3.4GHz-3.9GHz/19MB CACHE/AM4)
ASUS® PRIME A320M-K: Micro-ATX, AM4, USB 3.0, 6GB/s
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2933MHz ~ (2 x 8GB)
2GB AMD RADEON™ R9 270X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
240GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Windows 11

Based on what's happened, my diagnosis is that the graphics card has failed. It's already the oldest part of the system by some way, and the red bars across the screen appear on both monitors (when plugged in) so weird graphic stuff. However, I am not very experienced at this, so was hoping some of the community could give their input before I spend a few hundred on a new card.

Also, if I am correct, what replacement card would people advise for my system? It's generally a work rig, but I like to run a few games from time to time. My old card was fine for most of what I wanted to run, as I'm not fussed above 1440, ray tracing or other jazz. The only problem I had with it was not being DX12 compatible to run Death Stranding, which I got free from Epic before Xmas. I'm thinking RX 6500 XT sort of price range, but could go higher if it's worth it for that system.

This displayed during POST
XRLuQFH.jpg

System hung here when I tried to access UEFI
KSVWHN2.jpg