Advice for a novice on Overclocking my new computer

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Good day everyone,

I am an avid pc gamer and have just recently taken an interest in overclocking, as my new pc came with a pretty hefty cpu cooler (coolermaster V6).

My specs are as follows:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T w/ coolermaster v6
12 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM
Cooler Master eXtreme Plus 700W PSU
ATI Radeon 6850 HD running at 830/1075

Now with regards to temps... I am kind of unsure which reading is correct. When I look in AMD overdrive at the status page of cpu Ive never seen it go above 25C...but for some reason I dont think that is the right reading...as most people seem to report higher then that. There is another reading in the extras sensors that will show around 40C I think that one might be a little more realistic?

What I am looking to find out is what the best way would be to overclock the processor. I have seen/heard that windows based tuners are no good, and that doing it from the BIOS is the best way. I also see that most people say you just slowly bump the base clock (200mhz) up 5 mhz at a time and I guess if it doesnt crash go until it does and then up the voltage a notch and then try again, etc. Is this exactly what I want to do? Are there any other considerations I should be aware of?

While Im here starting a post about overclocking, I also have a question about my video card. I am using msi afterburner to OC my card and right now I have it at 830/1075 and it seems that my games are running fine. I have experienced something weird though. When I stability test it with furmark and kombustor, I can put the card to the max allowable levels (850/1200) and it doesnt go above 70C which as far as I know is a perfectly acceptable temp. I ran it for 2 hours one night and it just stayed constant. I am using a custom fan profile too. However, when I load crysis 2 or black ops, the computer crashes. I'll be playing and out of nowhere, at a random point (ranged from 5 min to 20 min) the TV goes black saying no signal, I hear sound for 5 seconds and then it crashes and I hear the sound loop and I have to hard reset. Does anyone know for any reason why I can stability test it so well but then boom games crash like that? I have reinstalled the drivers (using driver sweep to rid everything) and I updated the VGA bios too.

Sorry for the long post, I am just eager to get this squared away and I hope some experts out there can give me some good input as the video card especially kind of bothers me.

Thanks a lot in advance everyone.

Bryan

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Well it worked out quite well this time. I ran prime95 overnight, it ran for 8 hours and was still going when I woke up. I am satisfied now that in terms of what I am using my comp for that it is stable now. I am going to let it go until it fails at some other point soon, just to see, but for now I am happy with where its at.

Thanks for all your help Saint19, It is much appreciated.

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I figured that, I even watched as I played Crysis 2 last night and max cpu load is just over 30 while I play, Temps are nowhere near what they are in Prime either, and I have 5 120mm fans in my case now so cooling is great!

My next big venture will be figuring out what my optimal RAM settings will be, as I know this corsair vengeance ram should be decent for ocing.

I actually have a question Saint19, would you care to explain why increasing the NB VID voltage allows for greater stability? even when I am not really uping the NB frequency.

Once again Thank you so much for getting my comp to where it is now.