Advice for newbie builder?

Sep 2, 2018
So, I wanted to learn more about building a gaming desktop, and I figured the best way to learn was to build my own, and I want to do a Ryzen build. My plan is to build the best I can for now for around $1k, that I can add to and upgrade in the next 2-3 months to max potential with a total budget of around $3k. I already have an MSI X370 motherboard that I got from a coworker for practically nothing that supports SLI which means I can start out with one gpu and add another later correct? When i asked him to tell me about it he just sent me a link to one for sale online. I'll put the link at the bottom so you can see the exact one I have.

I want to know:

1. if I'll be able to run more than one gpu with this board so i can start now with one and add/upgrade later
2. What Ryzen CPU you guys would recommend now, and later if a new one is coming out that's better
3. What GPU you'd recommend for now (I like to play openworld adventure games or first person shooters like Monster Hunter, Skyrim, Unreal Tournament, Ghost Recon, Doom, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Borderlands, Witcher, things like that
4. What RAM and how much, for now, and upgrade
5. What storage (ssd (m.2?) and hdd) for now and upgrade
6. What PSU to power it all once its upgraded to full potential (this is the flexible budget part now, because I just want to go ahead and get what will power it once everthing is upgraded, added, and maxed out

I already have the motherboard, so that's not part of the 1k budget, nor is the case

Also, will I be able to overclock everything, and how? (like I said, newbie to this)

https://www.triplenetpricing.com/MSI-X370-GAMING-PLUS-AMD-X370-Socket-AM4-ATX-motherboard?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlK7cBRCnARIsAJiE3MgiK5npsgAP8OSefKTjeojpX-BYmzd-OBrBVIwUErQiAcx-4hMKq6EaAm81EALw_wcB

1. Yes, but SLI is not worth it as it scale poorly with most games and some games will not support it at all. Better to get a better single card.
2. Best bang for the buck now is probably 1600 or 2600 if you make sure to update the motherboard BIOS to support the 2nd gen Ryzen.
3. For 1080p then a 1060 6GB is fine for now. Else a 1070 will last you longer if budget is of no issue.
4. Get a 2x8 GB to run in dual channel and get 3200 MHz RAM speed as Ryzen depends a lot on fast RAM.
5. Get a SSD for OS. At least 250 GB these days. If you have the budget then either go NVME M.2 or get a larger drive. Then you can always add more drives later or add a HDD for storage.
6. At least a good quality 550w or maybe 650w for future proofing. However if you insist on going SLI then you will need at least a good 750w or 850w. Look into Seasonic Focus, Corsair RMx or TX, EVGA Supernova G2 or G3.

1, No point in dual gpu setups, it's more trouble than it's worth.
2, If all you do is game then R5 2600 or 2600X.
3, The most expensive one you can afford (1070, 1070 ti, 1080)
4, 16gb and +3000MHz in speed. Brand doesn't really matter, they all come from one of 3 OEMs.
5, Crucial or Samsung M.2 SSD and Seagate or WD 1-3TB HDD.
6, PSU is not a budget part unless you want your pc to catch on fire. That being said, Super Flower, SeaSonic, Delta and CWT are the best OEM brands.
Corsair CX series (the new ones) are good on low budget. On higher budget: Corsair RM, TX. SeaSonic Focus plus. And Evga Supernova G2 and G3 are good
Wattage you'll want at least 550W.

Sep 2, 2018
So, if SLI is more trouble than its worth, then is there a motherboard that would suit me better? I guess I should also note that I will also be using this PC to run my Vectric Aspire software to design 2 and 3d models for use with my cnc machine. I doubt SLI would help me there as I currently use my 5 year old HP Envy touchsmart to run it, and it works fine. I can sell the one I have for more than I paid ($20) and get another.