Advice for semiprofessional printer to buy. Pls.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

This is a spamming hawker.

On 25 May 2005 16:20:12 -0700, "Fabian" <newspost@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks to you all for your feedbacks. Many different nice suggestions.
>
>Maybe it is better I tell you what I need my printer for.
>
>For my business, I want/need to print on demand company correspondance
>(invoices, commercial letters) with letterheads, envelopes with Royal
>mail digital stamps, a few hundreds leaflets or brochures or business
>cards when required.
>
>I would need to be able to print 200/300 sheets each time and also good
>quality a bit thick paper.
>
>I would also to be able to print booklets (on demand).
>
>At the beginning, I will not have to print that much but later on
>hopefully, I could need to print 2000/3000 pages per month (guess).

What you describe is almost exactly the uses to which a laser is put.
Look at the Kyocera ones, they have the lowest TCO and they're better
for the planet <g>

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:31:59 +0100, "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net>
wrote:

>In message <1117097750.326399.130540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes
>>me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>Fineprint? Ok. I saw a few Canon's that had a "booklet" format directly
>>in the (software) drivers. I thought that every brand had its own
>>"booklet" printing format, but apparently it is not.
>>
>>> This level of printing also is suggesting me that you would be better
>>> off with a laser. Doubtless people will now tell us how many millions
>>> of pages they print on inkjets every month!
>>
>>This is a surprise for me: if I want/plan to print millions of
>>pages/months I'd better buy an inkjet?
>
>No! I reckon you need a laser but it wouldn't surprise me if someone on
>here says they manage to print thousands of pages a month with an
>inkjet, personally I would find that excruciating.

Life's too short to wait for an inkjet to print thousands of pages ;-)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

ME

In message <c7mc91l91qf2kha8aavd7hals9uu65d51p@4ax.com>, Hecate
<hecate@newsguy.com> writes

>What you describe is almost exactly the uses to which a laser is put.
>Look at the Kyocera ones, they have the lowest TCO and they're better
>for the planet <g>

Well, two of us have suggested Kyocera now.

www.kyoceraprintershop.com has a refurbed fs-c8008n (or fs-8008cn I
think they have called it) for about £1,000. (A3 version).

Contact them for a brochure and sample print out.

--
Timothy

Hi all there,

I really got lots of feedback over here.

After consideration, I am reviewing everything and I am afraid I need
to buy 2 printers both cheaper of what I was keen to spend.
An inkjet for all the photo/greeting cards/graphics work
I was thinking to a I9900 or a Epson stylus Photo R1800 so I can
benefit of the A3 format too. (the best in http://www.pcmag.com)
Unfortunately the magazine does not give indication of the TCO nor
price per page)

Then for other type of jobs (leaflets/brochures/booklets), I can buy a
Colour laser. Maybe later on when I get orders.

What I have also not found good paper suppliers in Uk. Can you
recommend anyone? By having a paper supplier, I can also have a better
idea of which printer I need to buy.

And what about the business cards format?
I was told that I need to use an A4 sheet precut to print business card
formats. Do these give professional results?
Are there other options? I have really not seen any printer enabled to
enter business card sheets into the rolls...

Cheers,
Fabian

me@privacy.net wrote:
> Viking-direct would probably be a good place to start.

I have contacted them and they sent me their catalog, but I have heard
of suppliers that send a sample of each type of paper the have
(coloured, glossy, matt, papyrus, special, etc). Are also Viking the
cheapest? I find them quite expensive.

> >And what about the business cards format?
> >I was told that I need to use an A4 sheet precut to print business card
> >formats. Do these give professional results?
>
> People like avery produce the precut business card sheets. I _think_
> the print shops will print on card and then use a professional
> guillotine to cut them.
>
> Do we take it then that you are looking at opening a printing shop?

No :) printers I aim to buy are that professional?

I believe I should have been a bit more expert if I wanted to have a
printing business.

it is an online business. The printing is even not the core business,
however, if requested, I need to be able to print correspondance (data
and headend) and post ot and/or list of addresses onto envelopes from a
db, excel, txt file.

Then I see how far it goes with the printing requests.

Cheers,
Fabian

ME

In message <1117536549.963927.213160@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

In message <1117539900.395213.199450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes
>me@privacy.net wrote:
>> Viking-direct would probably be a good place to start.
>
>I have contacted them and they sent me their catalog, but I have heard
>of suppliers that send a sample of each type of paper the have
>(coloured, glossy, matt, papyrus, special, etc). Are also Viking the
>cheapest? I find them quite expensive.

With Viking you need to look at all their catalogues to find what you
want at their cheapest price. If you find them expensive who are you
finding cheaper?

>No :) printers I aim to buy are that professional?
No!

>I believe I should have been a bit more expert if I wanted to have a
>printing business.

Thats what I was going to say, if you had said yes, it was just that was
what I thought was being implied by the suggestions of printing cards
and brochures when orders start to come in.

--
Timothy

On 31 May 2005 04:45:00 -0700, "Fabian" <newspost@hotmail.com> wrote:

>me@privacy.net wrote:
>> Viking-direct would probably be a good place to start.
>
>I have contacted them and they sent me their catalog, but I have heard
>of suppliers that send a sample of each type of paper the have
>(coloured, glossy, matt, papyrus, special, etc). Are also Viking the
>cheapest? I find them quite expensive.

I've bought from Viking sometimes, but not for inkjet paper other
than for standard text printing.

For the type of printing you mention the best places to go are, for
example, MX2 (www.mx2.co.uk) On-Line Paper (www.on-linepaper.co.uk)
Papermill Direct (www.papermilldirect.co.uk).

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

me@privacy.net wrote:

> With Viking you need to look at all their catalogues to find what you
> want at their cheapest price. If you find them expensive who are you
> finding cheaper?

Sorry it was Neat-idea. Actually I have not compared prices yet.

> Thats what I was going to say, if you had said yes, it was just that was
> what I thought was being implied by the suggestions of printing cards
> and brochures when orders start to come in.

Well, as my mentor suggested me, I start very low key and I go where
the market goes...

Fabian

ME

In message <1117654424.630610.315330@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes
>me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>> With Viking you need to look at all their catalogues to find what you
>> want at their cheapest price. If you find them expensive who are you
>> finding cheaper?
>Sorry it was Neat-idea. Actually I have not compared prices yet.

Sometimes they come up with decent things but then they argue about
delivery, Viking can manage free delivery to the Isle of Wight, but Neat
Ideas struggles with that.

--
Timothy

me@privacy.net wrote:

> Sometimes they come up with decent things but then they argue about
> delivery, Viking can manage free delivery to the Isle of Wight, but Neat
> Ideas struggles with that.

Do you live in the Isle of Wight?? or is it just an example?

ME

In message <1117735465.969234.98490@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes

>me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes they come up with decent things but then they argue about
>> delivery, Viking can manage free delivery to the Isle of Wight, but Neat
>> Ideas struggles with that.
>
>Do you live in the Isle of Wight?? or is it just an example?

Both.

--
Timothy

me@privacy.net wrote:

> Both.

Curious: I live in Soton. And have u got a prining biz there?

Fabian

ME

In message <1117914640.022489.30070@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes

>me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>> Both.
>
>Curious: I live in Soton. And have u got a prining biz there?

No, wightproperty.com so I do a fair bit of printing, most of which
includes photos.

--
Timothy