[SOLVED] Advice needed! High-end monitor for home office

Jul 26, 2021
Hello,

My requirements are

1. Looking for a single monitor only, for a budget of about $2K
  2. Main purpose is productivity/professional use. It can't look too Gamery (will be in a home office, do not want aggresive RGB etc)
  3. My short list below is all ultra-wides, but only because I don't know much about current market/trends. I assumed for a single monitor at this budget it may be the best way to go. I may be wrong?
  4. It doesn't have to be good at gaming, but hey, for this budget I could see things may lean that way naturally?
  5. There will be no "photo editing" or special high-res content creation. Actually don't have anticipate watching a lot of movies either. This is more about performance for productivity, good picture and aesthetics etc.

My current short list is

1. LG 38WN95C-W --> My first choice ATM. Understand its weakpoints are contrast ratio, local dimming, hdmi 2.0, and drops to 8bit at 144. A little wobbly. But otherwise pretty grand.
  2. Dell U3821DW/U4021QW --> Nothing seems to be too impressive on these specs, and brightness etc lower
  3. Samsung Odyssey G9 LC49G95TSSNXZA --> Honestly looks a tad gamery, but if the quality issues are resolved this may be an alternative to the LG
  4. Samsung Oddysey Neo G9 S49AG95NC --> This is being released in 2 days. Will very likely be way over my budget, but keeping an eye on it.
  5. AW3821DW --> Looks a bit too gamery, but not sure if it's better than LG

Note I'm working under the assumption that ultra-wides are the way to go for this budget with a single monitor productivity requirement. Am I wrong?

Please let me know your thoughts! I've done a fair bit of research, but need to leverage community expertise!!

Is this LG the way?

Thanks!

Solution
FWIW, I currently am using the lg CX 48" TV.
https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65...xqz87l6QGK8bR4y3L1BoC9KAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I very much recommend it.
I considered the 49" monitors, but I did not like the wide/low height dimensions.
The screen image is stunning. The full 4k resolution is sufficient to have several windows open and resized to your needs.
The normal display refresh rate is 60hz which works well.
Nothing special required.
The unit will display at 120hz for gaming, but you need several qualifying items.
The graphics adapter needs to output hdmi 2.1. Only available, so far as I know on nvidia 3000 series cards.
You need an ultraHD...

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
Having spent the majority of my professional life where I might have a couple of Word and/or Excel docs open, email, Visio, 2-4 SSMS sessions open against different DBs, a remote desktop open with Visual Studio and more recently Teams session constantly running, I much prefer the flexibility of multiple monitors - being able to resize/minimize/maximize each session on the respective monitor on which I've placed it. I've used company-supplied 1080p monitors with 4-8 ms response times and 60hz refresh rates. Picking my own, I'd likely go with 24" 1440p and ignore response time and refresh rate which is immaterial for office productivity. Likewise, local-dimming, color calibration is not important if critical color accuracy/contrast ratio isn't needed (ie. for videos/movies or photo editing). I've found two 24" or three 22" to be a good balance of usability - again, in a productivity environment where efficiency and flexibility are the key objectives.

That said, I recently bought a 'gaming' monitor 3440 x 1440 with .5ms - 1ms response and up to 180 hz refresh. I looked at 38" and 49" UHD/4k formats but I just didn't see the bang for the buck. I also wanted a platform that my GPU could keep up with - my 3080TI seems a good match for 3440x1440 at 144-180 hz. When I do use my ultra-wide for productivity apps - multiple windows, etc, I often find myself preferring the simplicity of multiple monitors.

IMHO 3440x1440 is great for a gaming primary, productivity secondary use. For gaming, not everything will take advantage of a 5120x1440 aspect ratio.

For a productivity primary, I'd go multiple monitors every time. It's less attractive for gaming because you have physical monitor edges breaking continuity and response time/refresh rate becomes a factor.

49" monitors look cool and I was evaluating the 4K super-ultra-wide options but I didn't see the need TODAY from a gaming or productivity perspective, especially when considering the cost versus other options.

Reactions: ryetgr
Jul 26, 2021
Having spent the majority of my professional life where I might have a couple of Word and/or Excel docs open, email, Visio, 2-4 SSMS sessions open against different DBs, a remote desktop open with Visual Studio and more recently Teams session constantly running, I much prefer the flexibility of multiple monitors - being able to resize/minimize/maximize each session on the respective monitor on which I've placed it. I've used company-supplied 1080p monitors with 4-8 ms response times and 60hz refresh rates. Picking my own, I'd likely go with 24" 1440p and ignore response time and refresh rate which is immaterial for office productivity. Likewise, local-dimming, color calibration is not important if critical color accuracy/contrast ratio isn't needed (ie. for videos/movies or photo editing). I've found two 24" or three 22" to be a good balance of usability - again, in a productivity environment where efficiency and flexibility are the key objectives.

That said, I recently bought a 'gaming' monitor 3440 x 1440 with .5ms - 1ms response and up to 180 hz refresh. I looked at 38" and 49" UHD/4k formats but I just didn't see the bang for the buck. I also wanted a platform that my GPU could keep up with - my 3080TI seems a good match for 3440x1440 at 144-180 hz. When I do use my ultra-wide for productivity apps - multiple windows, etc, I often find myself preferring the simplicity of multiple monitors.

IMHO 3440x1440 is great for a gaming primary, productivity secondary use. For gaming, not everything will take advantage of a 5120x1440 aspect ratio.

For a productivity primary, I'd go multiple monitors every time. It's less attractive for gaming because you have physical monitor edges breaking continuity and response time/refresh rate becomes a factor.

49" monitors look cool and I was evaluating the 4K super-ultra-wide options but I didn't see the need TODAY from a gaming or productivity perspective, especially when considering the cost versus other options.
That is good feedback. In this case the single monitor requirement is a must for the desired living space.

Also this won't be extremely multi-window, just likely email, a big spreadsheet and perhaps a browser for the productivity side.

I am now also considering a LG CX 10 48" with a Ergotron HX Monitor Arm! That may be a good investment.. ?

Jul 26, 2021
I'm also considering the Odyssey Neo G9. I think it will be $2400USD. I was wondering if you guys think the 1000R curve is welcomed, and with the new brightness and HDMI 2.1 that it will probably be future-proofed and hold its value for the forseeable future. Since it's Samsung's second cut at this monitor, I could bet they put a lot of time in ironing out any quality issues.

I don't know, if budget wasn't an issue, would you guys accept this steep curved candidate? I think it's Samsung's 4th generation ultra-wide now.. it also boasts some improvements especially in peak brightness. I honestly don't think it looks too gamery, more modern than anything.

Jul 26, 2021

What models might you suggest for multiple monitors in that case?

Jul 26, 2021
I've got my list down to 4 options currently in this order. I have no idea what dual monitor combo would be best? That's why its currently at the bottom of my list.

1. LG 38WN95C-W
  2. Samsung Neo Odyssey G9
  3. LG CX10 48
  4. Dual Monitors of some kind (not sure what models are good)

Any idea which dual monitor combos would be good?

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65...xqz87l6QGK8bR4y3L1BoC9KAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I considered the 49" monitors, but I did not like the wide/low height dimensions.
The screen image is stunning. The full 4k resolution is sufficient to have several windows open and resized to your needs.
The unit will display at 120hz for gaming, but you need several qualifying items.
The graphics adapter needs to output hdmi 2.1. Only available, so far as I know on nvidia 3000 series cards.
You need an ultraHD hdmi cable.
Since this is also a TV, you can also get TV streaming.
It works, but I have not made use of that yet.

I have only one complaint.
I use sleep to ram instead of powering off.
Wake within 30 minutes works normally.
After 30 minutes, the LG will fully power off requiring using the remote to power the unit on before wake.

I now have the LG on the desktop which works well.
I replaced a 40"4k monitor which was wall mounted via LG ergotron .
Love the quality and flexibility of ergotron. Unfortunately, the LG is a bit heavier than the old mount could handle and it needs the HX version which I may get in the future.
Also, the 200 x 300 vesa dimensions will need an adapter for the HX.

Solution
Jul 26, 2021
You need an ultraHD hdmi cable.
Since this is also a TV, you can also get TV streaming.
It works, but I have not made use of that yet.

I have only one complaint.
I use sleep to ram instead of powering off.
Wake within 30 minutes works normally.
After 30 minutes, the LG will fully power off requiring using the remote to power the unit on before wake.

I now have the LG on the desktop which works well.
I replaced a 40"4k monitor which was wall mounted via LG ergotron .
Love the quality and flexibility of ergotron. Unfortunately, the LG is a bit heavier than the old mount could handle and it needs the HX version which I may get in the future.
Also, the 200 x 300 vesa dimensions will need an adapter for the HX.
That's very interesting! One question (since this is quite a big display), how big is your desk and how close do you sit in front of the screen? Does it ever give you headaches? I think this will be super close up for me so I am not sure if that will be a major issue. I've heard of others getting a headache unless they sat back away from their desk.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
For professional use i'd recommend Eizo FlexScan ( for CAD, 3D modelling, or general Office, Visual Studio etc). If budget is tight iiyama ProLite line is good alternative.
For DTP you can't really do wrong with any of the Eizo ColorEdge family, but they're on the expensive side of things.

As folks before me suggested, it's generally more practical to go to dual screen setup with height adjustment and pivot at (27"-34"). Kinda a gold standard in professional domain.

https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/desktop/#/filter/category:12

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
For professional use i'd recommend Eizo FlexScan ( for CAD, 3D modelling, or general Office, Visual Studio etc). If budget is tight iiyama ProLite line is good alternative.
For DTP you can't really do wrong with any of the Eizo ColorEdge family, but they're on the expensive side of things.

As folks before me suggested, it's generally more practical to go to dual screen setup with height adjustment and pivot at (27"-34"). Kinda a gold standard in professional domain.

https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/desktop/#/filter/category:12

Thanks Bazzy, this is really cool information you've brought to my attention, I had no idea about Eizo and I understand they are made in Japan. I'm not going to pretend to appreciate the price premium these things demand, versus any Dell IPS 27" USB-c monitor. But hey, I guess if you want the best you go EIzo.

Have done some reflecting, and for me personally I think the only way I'd invest more than Dell price range on a monitor if it at minimum had performance built in like response speed. Frankly even non-gamers can benefit from instant feedback of moving things around on screen (at least that's how I felt after going from 60 to 120)

So essentially, something that is good at productivity AND gaming

So at the end of the day I think I may drop this to original selection
  1. LG 38WN95C-W
  2. Samsung Neo Odyssey G9
  3. LG CX10 48

Going to see what breaks in the blogs tomorrow, as I understand the Odyssey is available for pre-order starting tomorrow

I apologize for being so wishy washy, but I appreciate everyone's feedback. It's such a big decision!!!!!

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Eizo is one of those Japanese brands, you don't often see talked about outside the field that uses their products. They've been around for more than 4 decades, and yet you would seldom see them advertised outside professional publications.

It's kind of similar situation with Wacom, which (at least before casual bamboo line introduction) was a relatively unknown brand outside professional circles, and yet their graphic tablets have been the best money can buy for the past 30 years. ( and yeah they are overpriced and their customer support is the worst lol, even nowdays nothing comes close, sadly )

That's very interesting! One question (since this is quite a big display), how big is your desk and how close do you sit in front of the screen? Does it ever give you headaches? I think this will be super close up for me so I am not sure if that will be a major issue. I've heard of others getting a headache unless they sat back away from their desk.
To answer your question, my desk is 53"w x 30" deep.
It sits 4" from the wall.
The LG stand extends about to the desk rear edge.
I sit with my eyes about 30" from the screen.
Never hand any headaches or similar issues.
If text is too small(I need reading glasses) I just zoom in.
I also have a legacy 30" HP ZR30( 2560 x 1600)mounted to the wall with a ergotron mount,
It is oriented vertically.
Both displays are set to 125%.
Dragging a page from one to the other preserves the same dimensions.
I keep email open as well as task manager and a documents index.
Because I can, I use 120hz, primarily for games.
But, before I upgraded my graphics card 60hz worked perfectly fine.

Before, I was using a philips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor which worked well enough.
But text on the edges was not as clear as I liked.
My son wanted it so I gave it to him and replaced with the LG.
I was interested in a curved unit to fix that problem, but large 4k units were not available.
Turns out that the LG image is so clear that it is not an issue.

If you can, visit a Costco store.
They will have a couple of the LG OLED tv's on display.
You will be impressed.

Jul 26, 2021
Thank you all for input!

I pulled the trigger on the LG 38WN95C-W!

I can post pics of setup if anyone is interest once it arrives

Ordered on pc-canada for $2100 CAD

Couldn't justify $2500 USD for the Neo

LG CX 10 48 was a really interesting choice, may try that in another room in the future (have the 60" version as a TV

Thanks all so much for all the great insights!!!