Question Advice needed --- I'm not sure if my GPU is going bad ?

Bee_Marie

Reputable
Dec 5, 2020
I've had some recent problems with my pc restarting. It has started to become more frequent but not terribly frequent and always happens when I'm playing a game. I have not put anything new in my pc before it started happening. My hope is that my GPU is going bad and I need to get another one.

So basically what is happening is when im playing a game, pretty specifically Valorant I like 'restart'. My screens freeze, i stop hearing discord/spotify/game audio. Then the monitors go black and say there is no connection. The PC is still running and never like shuts off, the fans are still on, my cpu cooler is still on and displaying the temp everything seems to be on. It never turns off and never truly turns back on from that. Just stays... running but no output it seems. I have to physically restart it with the power button on my case for it to work again. All my parts are kinda old now too.

I've started to think it is my GPU because my PC also have a hard time with alt tabbing. I go to change the song and then go back to the game and I get really really bad frame lag for like a minute then its fine. I get like 5fps then back to normal. I don't know a ton about hardware, so ultimately I'm prob going to take it to a hardware shop and have them look at it. Any advice of things to check?

Specs:

GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-core processor
Corsair vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 memory
ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5” Solid State Drive (I also have a m.2 drive but i cannot for the life of me remember the name of it,.. told you im awful at this hardware stuff)
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X video card
Corsair SF series 750W platinum

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build?

I'd start by sourcing a higher wattage PSU that's reliably built, borrowed from a friend or neighbor and see if that helps power your build without issue. If the issue is gone, then the problem was the PSU all along. What sort of temps are you seeing? You also didn't mention the make and model of the case and the number + orientation of said fans.

Bee_Marie

Reputable
Dec 5, 2020
How old is the PSU in your build?

I'd start by sourcing a higher wattage PSU that's reliably built, borrowed from a friend or neighbor and see if that helps power your build without issue. If the issue is gone, then the problem was the PSU all along. What sort of temps are you seeing? You also didn't mention the make and model of the case and the number + orientation of said fans.
Temps stay at around 48 for CPU and 56 for GPU. I have 5 big fans, theyre the Lian Li Uni fan SL120. 2 of them are intake, and 3 of them are like the exhale. Im using the Lian Li 011 Dynamic mini snow case. The PSU is like less than a year old.