Advice needed on TNT2 Value

G

My present machine is a PII 350/64 MBSDRAM/440 BX/ 20+4 GB HDD/Win98/DirectX 8 machine ( I know prehistoric setup!)

My video card is a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee AGP 16 MB SGRAM running on the latest GLSetup drivers. I do not have much problems with this machine. I use my machine primarily for games all sorts but mainly First person shooters like Q2, HalfLife, Kingpin etc but also Diablo, Starcraft etc.

I have just got a dirt cheap offer for a Creative Graphics Blaster TNT2 Value 32 MB.

What I would like to know is whether it is worth it? As you know this is the M64 chipset with 64 bit memory,a couple of posts I saw someplace say that this card is a poor performer. What I would like to know whether if I bought this card would I experience a positive improvement in my machine’s graphic performance because I couldn’t find any comparisons of this card with the banshee.

So I would be very grateful if you could reply with your advice on this deal

Thanx a lot
Jay

broggiemonster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can't say for you, but personally I would not buy such a graphics card. The improvements are likely to be miniscule, if at all. a cheap thing to do would be to get some heatsinks for your banshee ram and a pentium fan/heatsink and stick them all on with arctic silver epoxy. Then use powerstrip to overclock the banshee card.

Ray

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If I were you, I'd upgrade the processor first instead of the video card.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I'd save the money for an MX. The TNT chipset is pretty poor compared to the latest cards, but it might give some improvement over a Banshee though, but before you buy check the offer is really that good value, cos the cards can be bought new dirt cheap these days.

The M64 does have a 64-bit memory bus, and of course uses SDR memory. It claims almost the same fill rate and polygons/sec as the better TNT chipsets. You can find the full specs on <A HREF="http://www.nvidia.com/Pages.nsf/pages/RIVA_TNT2_Comparison" target="_new">http://www.nvidia.com/Pages.nsf/pages/RIVA_TNT2_Comparison</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't do it, it's not worth it. You'll get better performance simply by overclocking your current video card (both the chip and the memory) by about 20%. Use Powerstrip to do the overclock, screw a 486 fan to your heatsink. I have had great results with this setup. Also, if you want to use powerstrip all the time like I used to with that setup, copy it to your Start menu, and it will show up each time you start your PC.

Suicide is painless...........

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If it is truly "dirt cheap", then try it out. If it is like, 50 bucks or more, don't, as the M64 is not a great performer. I run a PIII 558, 128meg RAM, TNT2Ultra, and get about 3000 on Markwhatever 2000 3d marks. I should think the rig as described should get about 1200 to 1800 marks. Look on Pricewatch.com for some great deals on GeForces and MX types for about $135 + shipping. I know this is still too high if the budget's tight. Just make SURE that the vender is OK in resellerratings.com or don't buy. There are a lot of rip-off artists around on Pricewatch. Good Luck, Take-Out

G

unless you can get it for $30, leave it. get a geforce2mx for $90

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
well go get a processor upgrade get a Cel 533 w/ slot key adaptor. then get the tnt2 ultra or geforce2 mx card with it.

ABIT BP6 + ATI RADEON 32MB DDR RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
well go get a processor upgrade get a Cel 533 w/ slot key adaptor. then get the tnt2 value for under $50. if not the banchee will be fine

ABIT BP6 + ATI RADEON 32MB DDR RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Doing a quick comparison at www.madonion.com, it seems that the TNT2 M64 would be about 1/3 faster than Banshee I scoring as high as 1300 vs 960. Geforce 2 MX cards are scoring as high as 3000 on PII-350 platforms.

Of course that's only the 3Dmark 2000 benchmark. I don't know if real games are comparable.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First you have to tell us your definaition of "dirt cheap" then we could really answer the question.....if you can pick it up for say 35 bucks or less then yes any more than that would probely not be wise.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!