Advice On 2 AiO Desktop PC's

kenai1966

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015
Hi

This is for my friend who has sold has Macbook Pro 2015 to get a AIO Winodws Desktop,
Tbh I tried to put him off All In Ones mainly due to their lack of upgrade options, but he doesn't want a tower unit & wants the AIO form factor.

The two units he is interested in are both HP (he just likes HPs looks) are a Envey or a Pavilion here:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-pavilion-24-r101na-24-amd-ryzen-5-all-in-one-pc-1-tb-hdd-white-10181519-pdt.html#srcid=11026
£999.99

https://compadvance.co.uk/en/item/578777/HP-ENVY-27-b150ns?search=hp+envy
£760 with reduction offer

Obviously the Envey is a higher premium PC but this is cheaper because its HP Renew refurbished unit.

The question is which would be best if he will be using it mainly for doing basic graphics (for ads for where he works - nothing really intensive), the usual browsing & media usage but also whats the ability to atleast play some games via steam if he wanted too. (Hes aware that with an AIO he will be restricted to low level gaming graphics etc)

Although the Envey is cheap as its refurbished I wasn't too sure if it would be kinda overkill for his needs. The Pavilion has one of those APU Ryzen 5 CPUs, while the Envey an onboard GTX 950M coupled with the i5-7400T.- both would give him base gaming capabilities which would be better than an integrated graphics, so I'm lead to believe anyway?

I know a little about PCs as I have a gaming rigg myself which I built, but I want to make sure advising him as best I can with regards to these All In One PCs. He not really bothered about touchscreen either.

Anyway here the full specs for each one:

HP Pavilion 24-r101na 24" AMD Ryzen 5 All-in-One PC

Brand New Unit

24" NON TOUCH Full HD 1920 x 1080p IPS
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX Vega 8
Windows 10

£760.00

HP ENVY 27-b150ns All-In-One
HP Renew Reburbished

27" Quad HD 2560x1440 Touchscreen LED
i5-7400T
GTX 950M
128GB SSD
1TB HDD
Thunderbolt 3

Both have the Bang & Olufsen Audio which he likes on the HP AIOs

As he has mo desk or chair, I just thought maybe the Pavilion will save him £200 to help him with that.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

If I was getting it for myself, I'd get the HP Envy, however being used it has it's own risk to buy it. Not for specs but you are buying a unit that may have been returned for a failure. There is a bit higher chance there will be issues with it in the future and the warranty may be different.

Aside from that chance of reliability, I would get the 27" higher res for screen for graphics work, plus it has an SSD which will speed up the system overall.

kenai1966

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015

Hi thanks for your reply & sorry I didn't get earlier. He actually waited and went with a special offer on the HP Pavilion 24-r101n and he's well pleased with it (although I had to mess with the driver for the Ryzen 2500U, the HPs own version not so good. Although I wouldn't really buy one of these AIOs personally, seem to perform pretty well, even on games albeit on low settings.
Anyway thanks again for the advice offered