Advice on a DIY machine I'm looking to put together (first time)

Nov 6, 2018
Hello all,

I'm writing because I am looking at putting together a computer for myself for the first time. In the past I have always bought some midcore Alienware machine. In hindsight, I realize I was probably giving up a lot of power buying from them for so long. I've done research and am interested in what the community thinks about this build I've put together. Looking to try to snag deals on some of these parts during the black friday/cyber monday sales.

A couple of questions I have for the community:

1. For people trying to be financially conscious, DIY is still the way to go, right? I tried plugging these parts into IBuyPower and DIY came out cheaper.
2. If I ordered only what is shown here (I have screwdrivers, etc, of my own), I should be able to assemble a full working machine, correct? I do have monitors, keyboards, and mice already.
3. It'd be great if this machine allowed for future expansion. Have I accounted for that well here (power supply, motherboard, etc).
4. Where have I been excessive? My goals for this computer is that I want it to be able to shred through games today and be relatively future proof. However, I am trying to get the biggest bang for the buck. I'm not opposed to a minor performance decreases if they save me hundreds of dollars.

See the setup below.

zCnSrHA.png

Also, I've spoken with a friend since I started writing this, and he gave me some ideas. I noticed also there are some early Black Friday deals from CyberPowerPc and IBuyPower that run cheaper than the sum of what I've got in my Amazon cart. Some of these seem to wipe the floor with my computer setup, such as this...

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/VR-Ready-Deal-RTX-2070

What do people think of CyberPowerPC? Or should I stick with a DIY rig?

Your build has the money and parts in the wrong place.

You don't need Windows Pro, Home is just fine.
The $160 sound card, I would leave out, and spending $300 on a motherboard is also not needed at all. You are also getting a 2 generation old CPU, the i7 is overkill in most setups, a current gen Intel i5 is good enough to run any game out. i7 would be good if you are planning on doing a lot of media creation like video encoding.

This section has some sticky posts with build suggestions, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html the $1,500 builds should be plenty to run games on high at good frames at 1080 and will be OK for 3 years without having to drop settings much. The $2,000 builds will of course be able to reach higher resolutions and FPS and settings and will be good for another year past the cheaper systems, maybe 2.

With the pre-built systems the biggest issues is often the power supply, but you can upgrade it when doing the build. If you don't want to build the system yourself you can get the system you linked and upgrade the power supply. This one looks to be a good one for another $60
650 Watts - Corsair TX-M Series TX650M 80 PLUS GOLD