[SOLVED] Advice on a drive with a bad block

crimsonnight

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
Hey, So I just migrated a drive to an Asustor NAS and ran Disk Doctor. A bad block was found and now it says 'HDD Bad Block' under Status.
If there's a dead block or 2, I'm not really bothered (plus can't afford to replace it), all my data's synced to the cloud anyway, but if it's more serious I'd like to know before transferring all my data over. I've attached pictures of the attributes labelled as 'Bad' in the SMART info, could someone please let me know how serious the issue is?
My other question is regarding best practices, if the drive is usable, apart from running Disk Doctor, is there anything else I should do before using it?

dz7ymldilx451.jpg

z1bn4vtklx451.jpg

Solution
Warranty it after you ensure the backups are complete.
The issue isn't the 8 reallocated secotrs nor the 216 pending. Reallocated is failed sectors where data was successfully moved to a spare sector. Pending sectors are awaiting a retest after reading took longer then it should have.

Your main issue is the 216* failed sectors on line 198. Your drive is already toast and needs to be replaced.

* I assume because the line # is 198 instead of C6 (hex) that the raw values are also in decimal format, otherwise you'd have over 500 failed sectors.

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Not really...

There is Checkdisk in Windows - but sometimes this can do more harm than good.

I'm sure there are programs out there to re-allocate bad sectors but that is just sweeping the problem under the carpet!

I think you understand already that the disk could fail at any stage or just be a headache to use by throwing up read/write errors.

crimsonnight

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
But based specifically on the report, is it a case of it failing within say a few months, or is it just a bad block or 2 and it'll be fine for a little while longer yet?

The drive's already wiped so not worried about losing data yet, just need to know whether to use it in my NAS or not - like I said, I can't afford a replacement right now so fingers crossed she's still got some life in her!

USAFRet

Titan
But based specifically on the report, is it a case of it failing within say a few months, or is it just a bad block or 2 and it'll be fine for a little while longer yet?

The drive's already wiped so not worried about losing data yet, just need to know whether to use it in my NAS or not - like I said, I can't afford a replacement right now so fingers crossed she's still got some life in her!
No way to tell. 5 minutes, 5 weeks, 5 years.
I've had drives go from seemingly perfect to absolutely dead in 36 hours.

if the drive is usable, apart from running Disk Doctor, is there anything else I should do before using it?
8 relocated sectors. Not good, but not critical either.
216 pending sectors - this needs to be addressed. Pending sectors need to be resolved. Those most likely will get converted to relocated sectors.

You can resolve pending sectors with mhdd - scan with relocate on.

This looks like some Seagate drive. What model is it?

crimsonnight

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
8 relocated sectors. Not good, but not critical either.
216 pending sectors - this needs to be addressed. Pending sectors need to be resolved. Those most likely will get converted to relocated sectors.

You can resolve pending sectors with mhdd - scan with relocate on.

This looks like some Seagate drive. What model is it?

That's helpful, thank you. It's a ST8000DM004. Is there a Windows alternative to MHDD?

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
The issue isn't the 8 reallocated secotrs nor the 216 pending. Reallocated is failed sectors where data was successfully moved to a spare sector. Pending sectors are awaiting a retest after reading took longer then it should have.

Your main issue is the 216* failed sectors on line 198. Your drive is already toast and needs to be replaced.

* I assume because the line # is 198 instead of C6 (hex) that the raw values are also in decimal format, otherwise you'd have over 500 failed sectors.

Solution

crimsonnight

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018

I can't unfortunately as it was taken from an external drive

crimsonnight

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
Thanks, they could provide warranty information so have contacted customer support, not holding out much hope though.

Have ran some more tests/repairs, how's it looking now, better/worse?:
Annotation-2020-06-17-154238.png

crimsonnight

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
Yes - pending sectors got resolved. None of them became relocated.
Good job.

Cheers! So in layman's terms, I'm good to use the drive in the short-term without expecting any immediate errors, but can expect it to fail at some-point in the not-too-distant future? (Although I'm hoping to get another couple years out of it)