Advice on buying an external hard drive.

Kiel555

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
i'm planning on buying an Adata HD650 ext. hard drive, since its a bit cheaper than other ext hard drives, is it worth buying or get something else?

Solution
Based on my own experiences with various makes, I would by a Western Digital one.
That way, I know for sure it's got a WD hard drive inside it, a brand that I trust above all others (again based on my personal experience accrued over 20 years of buying such devices).

Adata do not actually manufacture the hard drives which are inside the enclosure. They buy them from various drive manufacturers which might be WD, Seagate or Samsung.

Since it's the hard drive reliability that matters, most people would prefer to know exactly what brand is inside it.

Matters to me, anyhow.

There's another route you could take. Buy an enclosure and internal hard drive separately. That way, if the enclosure's bridge-chip should fail (by no means...
Based on my own experiences with various makes, I would by a Western Digital one.
That way, I know for sure it's got a WD hard drive inside it, a brand that I trust above all others (again based on my personal experience accrued over 20 years of buying such devices).

Adata do not actually manufacture the hard drives which are inside the enclosure. They buy them from various drive manufacturers which might be WD, Seagate or Samsung.

Since it's the hard drive reliability that matters, most people would prefer to know exactly what brand is inside it.

Matters to me, anyhow.

There's another route you could take. Buy an enclosure and internal hard drive separately. That way, if the enclosure's bridge-chip should fail (by no means uncommon), you know the drive can easily be removed and put in to a new enclosure. Try doing that with a pre-built external hard drive & it could prove extremely difficult.

Solution