Advice on compact Office/Travel computer

dregs

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date:
Looking to assemble PC before next semester begins (ASAP)

Budget Range: $700~1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Light gaming, video streaming, word processing

Parts Not Required: Peripherals, SATA drive

Preferred Website for Parts:
Newegg (for convenience and international shipping)

Parts Preferences: Ryzen 2400G APU, Lian-Li case

Overclocking: I guess I'll be overclocking the RAM

Additional Comments:
I'm looking to build a compact desktop unit for my office (and to take on travels). I'm mainly going to use this for light gaming, streaming video from home Plex server and editing documents.

It's been a couple years since I've done any builds. I'd appreciate any feedback/suggestions on components and/or compatibility.

Current proposed setup:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dregs/saved/KKYpbv

CPU
AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler
Noctua NM-​AM4-L9aL9i​ Mounting ​Kit for No​ctua NH-L9​a & NH-L9i​ on AMD AM​4 (Ryzen) ​platorms

Motherboard
[strike]Biostar - X370GTN Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
[/strike]ASRock X470 Gaming-ITX/ac AM4 AMD Promontory X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

Memory
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage
Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Case
Lian-Li - PC-Q21B Mini ITX Tower Case

Case Fan
Noctua - NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan

Power Supply
Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

Operating System
Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Happily take any suggestions on a better MB, RAM, or M.2 choice. Don't really need a graphics card to play hearthstone or watch videos.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Do you really need 4TB hdd.
If you want it portable, consider a 2.5"" hdd rather than a 3.5". It will save weight.

I suspect that you will need to do a BIOS upgrade to support your CPU. If you want to avoid the hassle then you should look at a X470 based motherboard.

Other than that there is nothing wrong with your build.

I assume you will install OS via USB drive or external CD.

dregs

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Thanks asoroka,

I already have the WD 4TB in my old office computer so that's why I'll continue using it.

I did a lot of searching around for a MB that will support AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor

I ran into a discussion on it which put me onto that MB since it's supposed to be compatible right out of the box. I've been stressing a little bit about it. http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=879#cpusupport

I was also considering:
ASRock X470 Gaming-ITX/ac AM4 AMD Promontory X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X470%20Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp
..but that's an extra $80

Believe it or not, at this price point, it'd be far better to go intel rather than AMD. Unless you see the integrated vega graphics as necessary, you'd be overspending quite a bit compared to an intel equivalent. Also, I can understand if you'd rather work with Lian Li, but please do consider the options Silverstone puts out there with their SG13B-Q.

As far as the SSD is concerned, you need to ask yourself if the souped-up speeds of the 960 are worth the loss of storage. A 500 GB 860 Evo is only $5 more and still has very good R/W speeds. You shouldn't need the speed of an NVME drive, given you're not doing any extremely intensive video editing.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TbnqdX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TbnqdX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.19 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($97.43 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li - PC-Q21B Mini ITX Tower Case ($69.95 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($86.64 @ Newegg)
Total: $698.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-25 11:11 EDT-0400

Only issue is that you won't be able to OC the RAM, but at the same time, it shouldn't really make a difference for your use case.

dregs

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Thanks profoundnoah,

That solution works to about $200 cheaper than the build I was thinking about going with.

What are the differences in graphics between Intel and Ryzen APUs?

Also, Is there any need for me to stick with the 3200 memory or should I just switch to 2666?

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
There is no need for you to use 3200 memory.

You could even drop down to 2400 without any real world degradation.

There will not be much between them in terms of graphics.

The Intel solution is cheaper, the AMD has more threads so will be better for multi threaded work. As a bonus you can overclock the AMD.

If it was me though, I would take the money.

dregs

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
I decided to go with the Intel and save some cash. Wife MIGHT be happier. Thanks for the advice!

I went with the Lian-Li case because I'm a fan of the simplistic design. 2666 memory just because the cost from Newegg was practically the same as other options.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9BLg3b

CPU
Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard
ASRock - B360M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Storage
Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Case
Lian-Li - PC-Q21B Mini ITX Tower Case

Case Fan
Noctua - NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan

Power Supply
Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

Operating System
Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit

Any other suggestions/comments are appreciated!

Looks very good. If you can find higher speed memory for the same price as 2666, then invest in it. Otherwise, it should be smooth sailing. One thing about the noctua fan though. Any reason that you're going for it? Increased airflow, or a replacement?

dregs

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
I went with the case fan because there's no fans on that case at all. I was thinking it would be ideal to remove the drive cage at the bottom and using it as an intake since it has a screen there. I usually leave my machines running 24/7 (especially since I don't pay for electricity).

Intake at bottom, exhaust through PSU, let vents handle the rest.

Would it make any sense to upgrade memory past rated MB QVL? I almost certainly won't upgrade the system unless I do a total rehaul in 4+ years.

If you aren't due for any major upgrades within the future, then stick with Qualified kits of RAM. Wise decision there. As far as the fan is concerned, you ended up going for a CPU upgrade fan for noctua air coolers, and not an actual case fan. When comparing it to the iPPC lineup of the same model, you can see that the chromax fan upgrade runs at lower RPM. That's fine if you prefer silence, but for optimized airflow, a PWM case fan is definitely good to have. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NcQypg/noctua-case-fan-nff12industrialppc2000pwm

dregs

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Dang, [strike]that's actually the only thing I purchased so far because I could ship it with some other stuff I wanted from Amazon instead of paying increased costs on a second international shipment through Newegg website :( I'd return it if I lived in the states, but I go through a third-party shipping company to handle Amazon purchases and it would cost more time to handle the return than just buying a new one... maybe I will but I don't think replacing it would be essential.[/strike] (Amazon is awesome.)

I guess I misread the fan article or misclicked on the item on Amazon without going through the description.

Doesn't look like it can be replaced with L9i fan, so it'll more than likely be the fan I use for the bottom of the case. Silent is good, right :S

I thought the article I read directed me to that fan because the vent has a dust filter already on the case, if it didn't there was another choice I should have made.

dregs

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Using the Noctua - NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 71.7 CFM 120mm Fan (3-pin), will I still be able to control fan speed using the motherboard (4-pin)?

Not to be in hindsight, but is there any reason for the 850 Pro? It's egregiously overpriced, and if you haven't ordered it already, go for something like an 860 Evo, FAR better Price/GB. If you've already ordered it, then it's fine. Just putting the option out there.

dregs

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Yea, its a drive I inherited thats taking up space in my HTPC. Now seems like a good time to put it to use