So i have this PC that i build for almost 3 years now

CPU - i5 6500 3.2Ghz
CPU FAN - Arctic Freezer i30
MOBO - Asus H170-PRO
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 2400Mhz
GPU - Asus GTX 960 4GB OC
PSU - Antec Basiq 600W

Now recently i upgraded my GPU to an MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB

It made me so happy and the performance is Fantastic giving to what i had which still ran the games i play with no problems but its great to have an upgrade finally

Now don't get me wrong i don't hate my PC it did an awesome job for me no complaints for these past 2 years and til now.

But i the games i play which are BF1 BO3 for now, i might get BO4 later but mostly BO3 which i recently found out that newer COD versions rely on CPU more than the GPU, and BO3 is kinda still giving me tiny problems which isnt the MAIN reason im upgrading but still..

Now i used to get with my GTX 960 around 60-70 FPS if i remember correct maybe less even in both games which was fine, and i've had my GTX 1060 for a almost 2 weeks , and i cant get enough of it frames up to 120 in BO3 haven't tried BF1 but i can tell it will be the same i hope, and i only play on 1080p but i still get screen freezes and stutters which kills me ingame and its sad that i have that with a 1060 in my opinion! :)

So i decided to upgrade my MOBO and CPU at least, which i did like 2 months research on what CPU is best on list and mobo to go with and i found that there is no difference in the i7 7700k - Kaby Lake
And the i7 6700k Skylake , the thing is in my country they tend to sell for a bit more than msrp...and its about 120$ difference, and the z170's and z270's are maybe 50$ apart from the other, i can but The Asus z270a PRIME which i like and people recommend and why not get the newer version already? right? :p

Now since i REALLY want the i7 6700K ,i want your help to decide which CPU is the one to go with?
And if the i7 6700K will it work out of the box for the z270a PRIME? And do i need a new CPU cooler for either of the CPUs? And new power supply perhaps like a 700W?

And i know how bad you wanna tell me this, i KNOW how much the i5 6500 is good like its a beast of CPU Honestly :) but you can help me decide why not to upgrade or if its worth it :)

And i know i've been running this PC on a single HDD :p i am getting also A Samsung 970 EVO NVME SSD :) HUGE THANKS FOR THE HELPERS IN ADVANCE - HUGE SORRY FOR THE LONG BORING ESSAY- <3

For upgrade to i7-6700k or i7-7700k there's no need to upgrade motherboard (unless you want to OC).
They will work on your current motherboard also. i7-7700k may need BIOS upgrade though.

SweezyXE

Reputable
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks for the fast response first of all , its my first post :) (I realized i posted here exactly when i bought this PC LOL so not first post)

Wow you opened my eyes and mind for something better than both my opinions :) im glad thank you, i just wanted all these years to own an i7 lol :D

Seems an i5 is still worth it no matter what year, guess it cuz its Coffee Lake over Kaby Lake or BEST Skylake

And its only a few bucks more which is really not that different :) again THANK YOU so much for the advice i really appreciate it :)

But now i have new questions lol, Umm since i know the difference is only like output ports or what in the mobo features and it goes back to my preference

Do i get the Asus z370-A or F or H or is it really just small features that don't matter that much?

And my question on the new COOLER i feel if im getting a Coffee Lake i need a new one liquid or air right?

And the PSU? 600W is gonna be enough for the i5 9600K?

@SkynetRising - I really wish back in the day i understood what i do now , cuz i didnt know what K meant and OVERCLOCK is really when i built it :p

But now yeah i kinda want to Overclock and whatnot with the new hardware :D

Thanks again =)

Z370 A, F, H doesn't matter for the most part. Just find the one with the features you want/need.

You don't need liquid. A good mid-range air cooler will be just fine for an i5-9600K. Noctua NH-U12S, U14S, D15, D15S ; Scythe Fuma, Mugen 5 ; Dark Rock 4, Pro 4

You can get liquid, but get a good one with at least 240mm or 280mm radiator.

600W is enough, but your PSU is not the best quality for overclocking. If you have the money/budget I would get a good quality power supply such as EVGA 650 G2 or SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W.

SweezyXE

Reputable
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you so much again man for the help :) , ima run a search on the motherboards to see what fits me, and as for the cooler if i can't stick with my current one its not a problem always a fan of upgrading LOL , thought i needed a better PSU tbh :) THANKS

SweezyXE

Reputable
Aug 6, 2016
New plan lol i went all in on this and im building a new PC from scratch i got all parts now expect CPU and Motherboard

I just want to ask, once and for all since im going ham on this...i7 8700k or i7 9700k???

How good is the hyperthreading over 2 more cores??

I also got the Asus RTX 2060 which i replaced from my 1060 6GB (Store manager was nice :D )

Thank you!

SweezyXE

Reputable
Aug 6, 2016
I did look up some benchmarks , 8700k just less usage in games cuz hyperthreading..but 9700k has more like 5-10 fps with like 20% more usage which i don't mind at all, i'd probably go with 9700k its 9th gen and 2 more cores... thanks for replying :)