Advice on gaming/developing pc

Merlijn

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hi everybody,

In September I will be beginning my masters in CS and need to get a new computer as we will be running some software that my current pc cannot handle anymore.

I have been looking around a bit and came up with the configuration below :

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Video Card: EVGA GTX-780 Ti Dual Classified ACX 3GB GDDR5 Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
The questions I have on the build are mostly concerning the case and the cooling. I would really like a reasonably quite case and use air cooling but as I understand the R4 is not ideal for air cooling. That is why I wanted to ask if this was really the case and if I should better go for a water cooling solution (or maybe go for an alternative to the R4 but suited for air cooling). Another case that I quite like is the H440 but that case seems to also be best for water cooling.

Another question I had, is concerning the video card. Although I will not have a lot of time for gaming this year, I really would like the best graphical performance if I ever can play a game. It is the first time I have the chance to really build a high-end desktop and therefore would like the best performance that will last me a while. Is this card recommended or should I go for another config (SLI/Crossfire)?

Advice on the other components would also really be apreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,

Merlijn

Merlijn

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I will start with 8GB for now and see how it goes. For now it should be fine I think. Thanks for the answer btw

For a good case, the 750D from corsair might be worth a shout, it's got lots of fan spaces and good airflow, also good watercooling support and your card will be fine, though you won't need that one if you plan on gaming not regularly, a cheaper 780 Ti will do the job just fine and cheaper also

Merlijn

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Sorry, I forgot to mention I am looking for a mid tower, although the 750D really does look good.

Concerning the graphic card, I was actually right in the middle of searching for some cheaper alternative. Seems like I have a lot of researching to do :)

Oh mid tower, then you can go for the 750D's smaller brother, the 450D, I'm getting it for my build and also, I've been researching ALOT of 780 ti's cause I'm getting one aswell :') tell me your budget for the gpu, how many monitors and what res. and I can help you out maybe?

Mubix

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
My budget for the GPU would be around 700€. I am going to use one 1440p monitor. Thanks for the advice!

Xavier Bouttier

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Case that i fell in love with is the Corsair carbide 500r

Side panel 240mm fan, dual front 120's, exhaust fan in the back, room for dual 120's on top, and 1 on the bottom. The slits in the back plate for cable management are ideally placed.

I have this case, and with almost no effort with cable management, you can open my case, and see no wires, so no obstructions for proper airflow.

I didnt even upgrade the fans, kept the stock ones, they are super quiet. I havent added any fans. Just to give you an idea about temperatures, I live in Greece, where ambient temperature can reach upto 45 degrees C, and my core temps and GPU temps NEVER pass the 60 mark. I am not using water cooling, just using a hyper 212 evo on the chip. You can see my setup in signature.