Question Advice on how to upgrade my PC for VR

Feb 29, 2020
Hi guys,

Forgive me if I have to ask you lots of dumb questions as I haven't looked inside a computer for like over 10 years but I want to get into VR gaming and possibly game developing. My PC isn't up to the minimum requirements on Oculus's website for a Rift S. I know I could just upgrade my graphics card and that would probably do the trick but I want to make sure I don't buy something that won't fit.
My system details are:
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro fx 1800
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Model ASRock Z68 extreme4
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.40, 18-May-11
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 27.0 GB

At this stage I'm not ready to spend big money to get a whole new system since I've never really tried VR gaming before, that said I'm fairly confident I want to get into this properly. What's the best way forward from a value / longevity point of view?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You ought to be able to just put in a new GPU, though the 2600K is starting to show its age. However, the big variable for a GPU is the exact PSU and without that information, nobody can make a recommendation.

A bit worried about the reference to you not opening up your PC in 10 years. You really should be cleaning the dust out of your PC no less often than twice a year.

Feb 29, 2020
Thanks DSzymborski,

Fair enough. If I were to start with upgrading my GPU and then in a year or so wanted to upgrade my CPU would it still be possible to find something that would work in that order you think? Also I heard someone on a different thread warning about limiting the effective capacity of your graphics card if the CPU isn’t up to scratch. Is this something I need to worry about in my case?

Also, thanks for the dust reminder. When I said I haven’t opened my computer for 10 years I was meaning more to upgrade anything. It had been cleaned though some more dusting wouldn’t go astray tbh. Will add to my to do list.

You ought to be able to just put in a new GPU, though the 2600K is starting to show its age. However, the big variable for a GPU is the exact PSU and without that information, nobody can make a recommendation.

A bit worried about the reference to you not opening up your PC in 10 years. You really should be cleaning the dust out of your PC no less often than twice a year.