Question Advice on large storage drive, and backups needed ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

USAFRet

Titan
@USAFRet You mentioned in another thread about enclosures that you have the Mediasonic PROBOX 8 bay H82-SU3S3. I was looking at several options, some more than what I need, but regardless, and came across the PROBOX 4 HF2-SU3S3. When looking at review on YT, I saw a lot of people having some type of software issue (which might have been a combo of software and not knowing how to change/reconfigure some settings). I guess you haven't had those/any issues with it?
24/7 use since 2016. The only issue I have with it is that the LEDs on the front are too bright.

EDIT: And actually, I have the 4 bay version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Compused

Compused

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
How important is the orientation of the hdds inside an enclosure (caddy, nas, das, etc.)? Is the best orientation having them "flat" like you would lay one on a table - like how you would put it down to read the sticker on the "top"?
Some have the drives on the sideds, or even upright/vertical.

USAFRet

Titan
How important is the orientation of the hdds inside an enclosure (caddy, nas, das, etc.)? Is the best orientation having them "flat" like you would lay one on a table - like how you would put it down to read the sticker on the "top"?
In my QNAP NAS and TR-004, vertical.
In the MediaSonic, horizontal, label side up.

There is no "best".

Compused

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
My thinkpad w530 has an "express card slot" on the right side, above the "card reader". From the thinkpad wiki, it mentions an "Mini PCI express slot": https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:W530
Can I take advantage of that for anything, like connecting an HDD (like the one I just got) or similar, for faster (than the usb 3.0) ports, and if so - how? I tried to look for an adapter cable but I'm not sure what I'm looking for or if it exists.

Thank you.

Compused

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
As long as you're using SATA and more importantly HDDs nothing faster than USB 3.0 matters.
First, thank you. Saved me some time and money there.

Next, it'd be smart to portion out this "copying" of my 5tb elements hdd to any new drive, right? A 5tb at one time transfer is probably a bad idea. 500gb-1tb at a time, does that sound good? I've portioned it out like this when I moved stuff to a new drive before, but don't recall how much at a time. I also keep a 4" pc fan blowing over the drive now, just while in use, and will use that while doing the transfer too.

Thanks.

First, thank you. Saved me some time and money there.
No problem I've always thought buying what's right for the application is better than buying "the best/fastest".
Next, it'd be smart to portion out this "copying" of my 5tb elements hdd to any new drive, right? A 5tb at one time transfer is probably a bad idea. 500gb-1tb at a time, does that sound good? I've portioned it out like this when I moved stuff to a new drive before, but don't recall how much at a time. I also keep a 4" pc fan blowing over the drive now, just while in use, and will use that while doing the transfer too.

Thanks.
Given that we're talking external drives I think this is a good idea just to minimize the possible impact of USB doing dumb USB things. Physically the drives themselves would be perfectly fine with a long transfer.

Compused

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
No problem I've always thought buying what's right for the application is better than buying "the best/fastest".

Given that we're talking external drives I think this is a good idea just to minimize the possible impact of USB doing dumb USB things. Physically the drives themselves would be perfectly fine with a long transfer.
Thank you. I'll try no more than 1tb at a time.
Curious - what dumb USB things? Haha.

Compused

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
I read the Orico dual bay I ordered, I decided to check the lower 1 and 2 star amazon reviews, and now I can't bring myself to even try it. Plenty of the same complaints about ruining data, formatting their drives to "RAW"(?), failing, loosing everything. And noting what I thought was pretty poor fan placement/design, and physical "security" or retention of the drives inside.

The Maiwo single bay I ordered has its 1 star reviews saying it is an incredibl hot box.

I want to ask, again, if there's any actual good brand, that uses good components and has a functional and safe design for their enclosure that inspires even a modest amount of confidence in the user. Please recommend something, if it exists. If not, I'm at a loss here for what to ask or what to do - maybe someone can request somewhere else for me to ask this/these questions then?
I can't just lose terabytes worth of data, and hundreds of dollars in brand new drives to a garbage piece of equipment. Where are the good ones?

Thank you.

I'm not super familiar with DAS, but QNAP's seem good though expect them to cost a lot of money. For single drive usage I've used Vantec and Sabrent enclosures, but never connected long term though I've never lost anything in either.

Since I've had fun collecting ball bearings from long since dying hdd's this is an easy one. The orientation for a hdd vertically mounted doesn't matter.

Why - because the center of gravity on the rotating head is pretty much in the center of the hole of the ball bearing :cool:

Compused

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
So. I'm taking the risk of tryin out the Maiwo on a new drive. I've never had to initialize a drive before. In disk manager, I right clicked the drive, and chose initialize. Of the two options (MBR and GPT), I chose GPT. It did something real quick, and then/now it shows as "Online". Shows 11175.58 GB unallocated.
What else do I need to do, if anything, before proceeding and using this drive as normal? Do I need to format it as NTFS, and assign a drive letter now? Anything else?

Thanks.

(I've never bought a new drive that wasn't an external. Only for a mac, ssd, and I don't remember this process - maybe it was slightly different).

USAFRet

Titan
So. I'm taking the risk of tryin out the Maiwo on a new drive. I've never had to initialize a drive before. In disk manager, I right clicked the drive, and chose initialize. Of the two options (MBR and GPT), I chose GPT. It did something real quick, and then/now it shows as "Online". Shows 11175.58 GB unallocated.
What else do I need to do, if anything, before proceeding and using this drive as normal? Do I need to format it as NTFS, and assign a drive letter now? Anything else?

Thanks.

(I've never bought a new drive that wasn't an external. Only for a mac, ssd, and I don't remember this process - maybe it was slightly different).
Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

Compused

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
Upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here.
Ok, yea. Found a couple threads on this.
I'm getting an error from imgur. "imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later." Looks like...a coding window...
Am I going to have to sign up to one of these image hosting sites? <-- Nevermind, sigh.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, yea. Found a couple threads on this.
I'm getting an error from imgur. "imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later." Looks like...a coding window...
Am I going to have to sign up to one of these image hosting sites? <-- Nevermind, sigh.
For imgur, you don't need an account.

But yeah, that over capacity thing happens once in a while.Not often, though.

Compused

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
But it sounds like you just need to Initialize, format and give it a drive letter.
Right click, and see where that leads.

I asked for the screencap, because 11175GB is an odd capacity.
I guess I'll just wait...how annoying. Can't hurt to just leave this sketchy enclosure and drive in it while I wait, can it? Haha. It's initialized, but that's all...

Yea, I don't know. Why is it odd? MY 5tb WD Passport shows up as 4657.49 GB NTFS...

Last edited:

Compused

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
OK...at "12TB", that listed capacity is correct.
No problems.
Ok.
Might as well try this:

Qwq6wT2IDuIUqNMkXdMhTQ5LkWttJ9MeloozAHDG.png

That work ok?