Discussion Advice on Linux Build That Will Last Me 10 Years - Part II - UPDATED!!!

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
This is a continuation of this thread (it was locked recently - MODS, can you reverse this?)

Well, this old rig made it to 10 years!

About the only thing to report during the last year is that I had to upgrade to Debian Stretch (which went stable in JUN 17) earlier than I wanted to. The version of Firefox used under Debian Jessie (the release prior to Stretch), version Firefox Quantum ESR (68.9esr)..., was becoming unusable for me. FYI, Stretch is currently using Firefox version 91.5.0esr....

Browsing still works pretty good on this old machine (good enough for me). Every now and again, Firefox will gag on a particularly ad-blasted page - maybe I'll look into some sort of ad blocker extension...

About the only negative and age-related gripe I have after the upgrade to Stretch is that, when using gthumb (ver. 3.4.4.1) for cropping images, the operation is laggy and jerky. The old graphics card is prolly reaching the edges of its capabilities, who knows?

No real plans for the next year. I'm planning to upgrade to Debian Buster some time during the second quarter of 2023.

Fingers crossed!

Reactions: helper800

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Still going (relatively) strong. Nothing bad to report during 2022...Debian Stretch (2017 release date) currently in use, planning to upgrade to Debian Buster (2019 release date) in the Fall.

I'm now playing with the house's money!

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Still using this ancient machine...

Since the last update, I upgraded my Debian OS from Stretch to Buster. After said upgrade was completed, I started experiencing total system freezes when interacting with the Outlook Web Application (my browser-based email service of choice) while using Firefox as the browser. Upgrading from the 4.19 kernel version to 5.10 afforded no relief.

In order to achieve stability, I had to deselect Firefox's hardware acceleration option. I believe that this incident signals the beginning of the end for this old heap...only time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Am currently planning on upgrading from Debian Buster to Bullseye later this year...