advice on printers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Samsung ML-1210 has tits? Wow! That should qualify it as a multi-function
printer... Ben Myers

bullseye wrote:

> I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy print)
> is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
> finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would I
> be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
> realistic?
>
> I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
> printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

Are you serious? You've been using a 6P for five years and your
cartridge is *just* running out? Pretty good, if you ask me!

Am I correct in assuming that you're using it primarily for B/W
text? If so, wouldn't it be worth $75 to go another five years?

Notan

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=28-112-022&depa=1

you missed a hellavu good deal of this one. mine is coming this Friday.
i'm tired of handfeeding my HP5L. friggin' paper feed didn't even out last
the original toner cartridge.
no more hp's for me. for $82 I don't think i can lose. word on the street
is it is half decent.

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy
print)
> is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
> finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would I
> be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
> realistic?
>
> I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
> printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

bullseye

(Two replies in one;)

Thanking all for your input, I bought the toner. I had an Office Depot gift
card worth around $74 making my out of pocket expense $6 with the $2.50
credit for the returned toner. (Pages are coming out printed much cooler
with the new toner; I had noticed a significant increase in temperature with
my prints with the older one.)

I also had an out of memory problem a few years back with my 6p and solved
it by buying and installing additional memory (6 megs?).

<big snip>

> Are you serious? You've been using a 6P for five years and your
> cartridge is *just* running out? Pretty good, if you ask me!
>
> Am I correct in assuming that you're using it primarily for B/W
> text? If so, wouldn't it be worth $75 to go another five years?
>
> Notan

Good deal!

A little while back, my 6P's "Fuser Exit Rollers" had a (literal)
meltdown, and I thought that it might be time for a new printer.

I, too, am an HP Printer fan and, in looking for a 6P-equivalent
replacement, found that I'd have to spend $500+.

A quick online visit found the Rollers for less than $20, and I'm
back with my workhorse (albeit, a little slower than some of today's
printers).

See ya!

Notan