Advice on storage setups

R3N3

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
I am setting up new PC and having some issues with choosing the right storage.

My current situation:
I already use about 1.5TB of storage across two seperate drives. I store games, media files (videos, music etc), and will be doing some video editing in the near future so will need to keep that into consideration. Using currently 1TB drive and an older 500GB drive.

My thoughts were to get an SSD as that will bring serious improvements to my setup. Thinking of going with the Samsung 850 EVO for performance and price, either 250GB or 500GB. I will store my OS, programs, and most current games that I am playing on it and then when finished will migrate the game files over to my new HDD array that I am getting.

For the HDD's I am looking at getting two 2-3TB drives and placing them in RAID 1 for redundancy as an added measure of security and peace of mind.
NOTE: I am aware that this does not replace a backup.

For my backup system I am torn between investing into a NAS (I only have 1TB of monthly data capacity shared between 3 individuals with not amazing transfer speed with 4.06Mbps down and 0.28Mbps up). OR to just get a small external enclosure and buy some drives and put them into an RAID array and use that as a wired nightly backup system.

Questions I have:
What size SSD do you think would be better to get? Both options are reasonably priced atm.

After I have have finished a game what would be the best way to transfer files off the SSD and onto the HDD array? (I know for Steam games there is a third party file migrater that has been recommended to me, also use EA Origin, Uplay occasionally etc).

What drives should I consider for both the internal and external storage solutions (been looking at WD Blacks or Reds for internal storage and Reds for external storage, is there any other good drives worth havings a look into)?

Learning currently how to use video editing software. What is a recommended way to set up and use the software. Like where should you store what in terms of the actual video files, program etc. What should be on the SSD, HDD array and external storage solution. Keeping in mind all of the previously stated information.

Thank you all in advance for your advice and thoughts.

Cheers

Solution
Recommended config:

C: 250gb 850 - (o/s, chrome , MS office)
D: 500gb 850 - (games & programs)
E: 2TB or higher seagate barracuda (media - photos , music , movies etc)

Regarding Backup just go with external drives. How important, really, is your data? Work and phots the most important. All you need is a few iterations. The main system and at least on an external drive. USB keys & cloud storage is fine for smaller size.
Just get regular seagate or WD external drives. Dont bother with inidiviudal drive purchase & externals case caddies. External barebones enclosures are much less reliable these days.

You need to work out whether you really want NAS functionality or not. If you do, thats another iteration. WD reds are for raid only...

fredfinks

Honorable
Recommended config:

C: 250gb 850 - (o/s, chrome , MS office)
D: 500gb 850 - (games & programs)
E: 2TB or higher seagate barracuda (media - photos , music , movies etc)

Regarding Backup just go with external drives. How important, really, is your data? Work and phots the most important. All you need is a few iterations. The main system and at least on an external drive. USB keys & cloud storage is fine for smaller size.
Just get regular seagate or WD external drives. Dont bother with inidiviudal drive purchase & externals case caddies. External barebones enclosures are much less reliable these days.

You need to work out whether you really want NAS functionality or not. If you do, thats another iteration. WD reds are for raid only. Synology make great NAS systems but i dont know of one with a USB3 connection to main PC (which is retarded).

Blacks are great drives & more reliable then seagate however they are expensive and its better to put the $ towards SSDs. Youll be backing up so it doesnt matter if seagate or WD drive dies.

For steam you backup games using steam's own backup/restore function. You save savegame files as part of your manual backup.

So to clarify all you need to backup is your work+personal documents, media drive , your savegames and finally copies of games install files if you dont want to download or load from dvd. You use steam backup/ restore function.

Solution