Advice on system build

JZDenton

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Hi,

After years of just having a laptop and a games console, I'm looking to go back to a PC that will
handle any computing and gaming I want to do.

At first I had in mind an ultra-efficient box to sit under the TV (I don't have a lot of free space in my living room which is where I'll be using it) but I started to get spec creep when I realised I would be wanting to play the likes of Fallout 4 when released. So I still want something in the HTPC form factor (and that would be fairly energy efficient, but with a bit more oomph.

I will need to buy everything apart from the SSD, which I recently bought for my laptop (I'd also look to upgrade this as some point). I will be plugging the PC into a 1080p TV and using it from the sofa (hence the wireless keyboard).

My current part-list is http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/pNzMmG:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690S 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.00 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£58.10 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£43.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card (£258.08 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Silverstone GD04B-USB3.0 (Black) HTPC Case (£69.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: be quiet! 580W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£52.98 @ Ebuyer)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.35 @ Aria PC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£7.91 @ Aria PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Wireless Slim Keyboard w/Touchpad (£27.40 @ More Computers)
Total: £835.32

What are your thoughts on the build? Is there anything I need to change?

I'm hoping it would be a relatively quiet, cool-running build. I picked out the i5-4690s CPU due to its low TDP and decent performance (I doubt I would want to overclock) but I don't know the wisdom of this.

I started off by including a GTX 750 Ti, but I was seduced by the idea of a GTX 970 and it seemed good value for the performance. Is this overkill do you think? What I would probably do is build the rest of the system and then buy the GTX 970 next year as I won't have a lot of time for gaming until then and I was thinking prices might drop a bit.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Recommendations:

-An i5-4690 will be a much better and acceptable I choice for gaming. The draw power isn't that much compared to the "S" edition.

-You could replace to a H97 chipset motherboard since you are not overclocking.

-A 2133Mhz RAM is too much and not needed for gaming. Go with a 1600MHz RAM instead.

Well if you don't game much. Then consider a cheaper GPU. Try the R9 280X or 280.

JZDenton

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Thanks. The lower clock speed RAM doesn't look much difference in price - do you think I would be better off with 1600Mhz/9 CAS RAM or the 2133Mhz/11 CAS? Or would it not really matter?