[SOLVED] Advice on the rig I'm currently building

May 1, 2019
So, I've been raiding various sites that recommend various components for a good gaming PC, so I figured this would work well.

CPU: Core i5-9600K OEM (I plan on overclocking that a bit so I chose OEM to not get the stock cooler)
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (seems to cover the 95W of heat the CPU produces)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi (the latest chipset that works with 9th gen of Intel without BIOS updates and it's Gigabyte.)
Graphcard: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 590 NITRO+ (bear in mind I play on a 1080p res, so I don't really need to get a monster card to run latest titles at high quality)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 2400 MHz
SSD1: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2 NVMe (for the OS)
SSD2: Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB (for the games and programs, but I think I might get away with a 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus for the same price)
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Case: NZXT H500i

Any bottlenecks? Should I change anything in the rig? I'm on a budget around $1300-1500.

The games I'm planning to run on this are Space Engineers, Cities: Skylines, Sea of Thieves, Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, SW: Battlefront II - the titles that came out in 2017-2018 mainly.
Also I'd like an advice whether it's worth it to get Win10 instead of Win7, as I'm not sure because of the negativity surrounding both Win10 and Win8.

Last edited:

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I don't think there will be any big bottlenecks, should be a decent system. As for Windows 10/8/7, Intel only supports Windows 10 on newer chipsets. I've read that you probably "could" run Win 7, but you may not get Windows Updates (which stop being pushed to Windows 7 in January). To ensure proper functionality, just throw Windows 10 on it and learn to live with it as that's pretty much our only choice unless you go with Linux or Mac.

Jimcuchim

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
Win10 actually uses a tiny bit more RAM than Win 8, but considering that you have 16GB of RAM, it doesn't matter that much. Win10 is also easier to use and doesn't have that annoying fullscreen windows bar. Windows 7 is also good but with Win10, you will have more control over your components. Win10 also have a more reliable resource management.

May 1, 2019
OK, thank you. I planned on getting the Win10 anyway because some games (like the aforementioned Sea of Thieves) seem to only be available through Windows Store and thus playable on Win10 only. By the way, would I be overpaying if I got an RX Vega 56 card instead of the RX 590? It seems to be twice the price in my country, and with my 1080p 60Hz monitor I'm not sure if I will get all the power it gives me out of it.

Jimcuchim

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
The RX Vega 56 is only about 110% speed of the RX 590, it is probably not worth it if it is double the price. Only a 10% increase in fps isn't that worth of money. The RX 590 is also more recent, making it easier to warranty

I would do something like this with your budget.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($113.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($278.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H500i (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1204.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-01 13:06 EDT-0400

With the Ryzen you get 8 cores and can overclock it to the 2700X levels, especially with the liquid cooler. The RX590 isn't worth the extra money over a 580, but a 1660Ti would be worth it. You can use the 512GB NVMe for boot and applications, 1TB SSD for games, and 3TB HDD for movies, etc...

Solution
2x8GB DDR4-3000 = $75. I wouldn't settle for DDR4-2400.

500GB NVMe SSD = $75. I wouldn't settle for 240GB.

...mmm. "Your country" So what country is that? (since you're stating USD currency for your budget)

There's nothing wrong with Windows 10. It's better then Win7. Just a bunch of old grumps complaining about change when Win10 launched.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
Well, as it is, my local supplier sells Vengeance DDR4-3000 at 24k rubles (I live in Russia), and the 2400 is around 9k. Stupid, but it's life. Amazon isn't an option as it rarely ships to Russia and when it does, the price in USD triples compared to the original due to shipping costs. And we need to pay 30% tax on every purchase over $200 that comes from abroad.

May 1, 2019
Yeah, so I have to stick to 2400 until the prices drop or something better appears at my local supplier. As for the rig jeremyj_83 suggested, it shaves off a bit off my initial cost, but not by much, as the 1660Ti at my store is about 1.5 times more expensive than RX 590 for some strange reason. I blame cryptominers.
As for the 512 GB NVMe for OS... Isn't that a bit excessive? The Win10 my co-worker has on his laptop barely occupies 100GB...

Yeah, so I have to stick to 2400 until the prices drop or something better appears at my local supplier. As for the rig jeremyj_83 suggested, it shaves off a bit off my initial cost, but not by much, as the 1660Ti at my store is about 1.5 times more expensive than RX 590 for some strange reason. I blame cryptominers.
As for the 512 GB NVMe for OS... Isn't that a bit excessive? The Win10 my co-worker has on his laptop barely occupies 100GB...

With the added cost then I would just use a RX580 instead of the 590. While 512GB isn't needed for the OS, it does allow for adding more applications to that drive and you won't have to worry about running out of space at all for your OS drive.

And modern games are 40GB+ each....
Also, (within reason) running an SSD plumb full reduces it's performance. Not saying you need to have 50+ GB free space at all times, but...

Running games off spinning rust doesn't technically affect frame rates, but it does slow down level load times and game launch times.

You don't have to get an NVMe SSD. But here in the US, a 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD is around $60 and a high tier NVMe drive is around $75. The real-world difference may be negligible, but meh, it's the price of lunch @ a restaurant divided out over the lifetime of the drive.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
I have 2 separate NVMe units for the PC - 250 GB for the OS itself and various other stuff that comes with it such as MS Office and other software, and a 500GB one solely for games and files. (or the 1TB SSD unit I've mentioned for the same price)
Well, you can safely double the US prices for what I have, as the Seagate 1TB SSD drive I mentioned here costs roughly $170.

Last edited:
And modern games are 40GB+ each....
Also, (within reason) running an SSD plumb full reduces it's performance. Not saying you need to have 50+ GB free space at all times, but...

Running games off spinning rust doesn't technically affect frame rates, but it does slow down level load times and game launch times.

You don't have to get an NVMe SSD. But here in the US, a 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD is around $60 and a high tier NVMe drive is around $75. The real-world difference may be negligible, but meh, it's the price of lunch @ a restaurant divided out over the lifetime of the drive.

While the performance of a full SSD is lower, it is still far better than even an empty HDD. A full HDD on the other hand has absolutely dreadful performance. I agree that the real world performance between a SATA SSD and NVMe SSD wouldn't be high. However, you will find that your framerates will be more consistent with a SSD than a HDD.

May 1, 2019
Well, it's true, and I might even get the 500GB NVMe for the OS and the 1TB SATA SSD for the games depending on how much money I will be able to funnel into this, as the PC I've originally posted here is already approaching $1600 (converted from my retailer's prices here in Russia). And yeah, the SSD would be absolutely preferable, but they're currently in high demand and thus high in price, some even surpassing the Samsung NVMe drives of similar capacity, that's why I opted for NVMe in the first place.

Well, it's true, and I might even get the 500GB NVMe for the OS and the 1TB SATA SSD for the games depending on how much money I will be able to funnel into this, as the PC I've originally posted here is already approaching $1600 (converted from my retailer's prices here in Russia). And yeah, the SSD would be absolutely preferable, but they're currently in high demand and thus high in price, some even surpassing the Samsung NVMe drives of similar capacity, that's why I opted for NVMe in the first place.

If you are able to shave money off by going AMD it is worth it. You could use the savings on going with a better GPU. Also you don't need a 750W PSU for you system. The 650W that I recommended is already more than you need. I would say go with the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold over the Corsair though. The Seasonic is one of the best PSUs you can get for the price.

May 1, 2019
Joke's on you, jeremyj_83, Seasonic PSUs here cost 16k compared to the Corsair's 9k xD Thanks for the suggestion, though, I appreciate it. And as for going full AMD - I will probably do so. Both MB and CPU are available and slightly cheaper ($10 for CPU and $8 for MB), and with the AMD card it might even be better.