Question Advice on this pre-built

Jun 4, 2019
Hi folks

I've been eyeing this PC for some time and I'd like your opinion on whether it fits the price they're asking for. (link here: https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-gtx-1080-ti-custom-gaming-pc.html?category_id=529)

I calculated the price of parts myself and it looks like buying the parts individually and building it myself would save me around £200. However I didn't factor postage & packaging, so it may be even less than that.

Also I'm not sure if the PSU would be enough to power the 1080 Ti. I have found out that the PSU that the PC comes with is considered a mid-range unit, which doesn't bode well for a "high-end" system.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

WildCard999

Titan
If you don't care to overclock I'd get something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£279.97 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£30.12 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock - B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£74.41 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£69.50 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£191.48 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card (£639.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£44.56 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£85.80 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 120 51.4 CFM 120 mm Fan (£9.78 @ Aria PC)
Total: £1511.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-05 16:46 BST+0100

It'll easily handle anything from 1080P/144hz to 3440x1440P/100hz on higher settings but will vary depending on the game. 4K/60hz would be on medium-ish settings. Whatever monitor you decide to get I would go with a Freesync supported monitor and pair it with a Displayport cables (less stuttering imho over HDMI).

If you do want to overclock then go with the Ryzen 2600/2700 paired with a B450 MB (would recommend the Asrock B450 Steel Legend) & 2x8gb @3200mhz (higher speeds make a difference with Ryzen).

Eh. I'm ok with the PSU that comes with. But it comes with a low end board, low end memory, low-ER end CPU than what you'd expect to find on a rig that expensive. You could do much better for the same price or close to it. Possibly for less with a Ryzen build.

Jun 4, 2019
Alright, cheers for the replies folks. So building a PC myself would be the best (and cheapest) option it sounds like.

WildCard, I appreciate the build suggestion. Would that build be customisable at all? Like if I wanted to throw in a 1080 Ti in there. Although would compatibility be a problem? Because I take it I'd need to factor things like size, power requirements, etc.

WildCard999

Titan
Alright, cheers for the replies folks. So building a PC myself would be the best (and cheapest) option it sounds like.

WildCard, I appreciate the build suggestion. Would that build be customisable at all? Like if I wanted to throw in a 1080 Ti in there. Although would compatibility be a problem? Because I take it I'd need to factor things like size, power requirements, etc.
That system could handle a 1080 ti, even the AIO version if you connected the radiator to the rear on the case as exhaust or put it in the front as intake. It is a MATX case though so if you want a bit more room then the ATX version or a different case (mid tower) may be a better option for you. As for the PSU a good quality 650W is plenty for the system/overclocking & the Seasonic Focus Gold is one of the best units out there for the price.

Jun 4, 2019
That system could handle a 1080 ti, even the AIO version if you connected the radiator to the rear on the case as exhaust or put it in the front as intake. It is a MATX case though so if you want a bit more room then the ATX version or a different case (mid tower) may be a better option for you. As for the PSU a good quality 650W is plenty for the system/overclocking & the Seasonic Focus Gold is one of the best units out there for the price.
Cool. I might use that parts picker website and move a couple things around. I don't know what parts are the best so I'm pretty gonna go off what you've suggested.

In terms of future-proofing, is there anything I should do/add to help with that?

Thanks for the help

WildCard999

Titan
Cool. I might use that parts picker website and move a couple things around. I don't know what parts are the best so I'm pretty gonna go off what you've suggested.

In terms of future-proofing, is there anything I should do/add to help with that?

Thanks for the help
Well depending on your storage needs you could change the SSD to the 1TB version and then get 32gb (2x16gb) instead of the 16gb. Besides that the only other change could be going AMD Ryzen instead or going with the ATX version of that case to have a little bit more room or even a different case.

This case is quite nice and could also support more upgrades/fans.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.97 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £58.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-05 18:27 BST+0100

Reactions: FenderTelecaster
I give this prebuilt props for not skimping on the psu. It looks like they're operating on the mentality that people purchasing prebuilts will most likely not overclock which was why they went with that motherboard and they selected the k sku chip because it has higher stock frequencies. This really isn't a bad prebuilt imho. The logic is sound and there should be no power issues with a gtx 1080 ti.

Last edited:
Quite decent AMD build here
Can play about with M2 by buying a cheaper one if you wish

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£259.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler (£53.74 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£144.78 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£94.99 @ Corsair UK)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£203.35 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£82.01 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card (£549.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£70.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1544.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-05 18:39 BST+0100

Jun 4, 2019
It's tough trying to pick a case. I was initially gonna go with the full size Focus G but that Eclipse P350X looks decent, same with the MasterBox Pro 5. Any recommendations, or particular things I should look out for?

It's tough trying to pick a case. I was initially gonna go with the full size Focus G but that Eclipse P350X looks decent, same with the MasterBox Pro 5. Any recommendations, or particular things I should look out for?
If you're going with a high end graphics card, you want to stick with cases that have mesh front for ventilation. The focus G is a great choice, but how much are you willing to spend on a case? I have more suggestions based on budget.

Jun 4, 2019
If you're going with a high end graphics card, you want to stick with cases that have mesh front for ventilation. The focus G is a great choice, but how much are you willing to spend on a case? I have more suggestions based on budget.
I'd say probably £80 would be my budget - it looks as though I can get really good cases for that much. But if there are better cases that would be worth sinking a bit more money into I'm all ears.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (£43.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard (£183.07 @ More Computers)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£88.79 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£100.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£109.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card (£486.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case (£104.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan (£14.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1477.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-05 23:44 BST+0100

Jun 4, 2019
Thanks for these build suggestions - I'm gonna try and see if I can incorporate them into one and maybe add in a few ideas of my own. I have a few questions in terms of parts though.

Would a CPU liquid cooler be advisable over an air cooler?
I also notice that most of the build suggestions have two storage drives (presumably one for the OS, and the other for storage). Is it better to have them separate?
A couple of you have suggested the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor. How does that compare to say, an i7 9700K or 8700?

Apologies for the continuous stream of questions. As you can probably tell, I'm very much a beginner in this sort of area.

WildCard999

Titan
High end air > AIO, it would be just as effective and quieter.

For the storage it depends on your needs, previously most would go with a 250-500gb SSD for the OS and a few games with long loading screens and then put the rest on a 1-2TB HDD but with SSD pricing going down it's pretty feasible nowadays to just have a larger 1TB+ SSD and preferably M.2 so it connects directly to the motherboard instead of having to connect it via SATA cables (data+power).

As for the CPU it's really going to depend on your monitor resolution and refresh rate. For example if your gaming at 1080P/240hz then I'd go Intel for the better performance per core but for 4K/60hz the difference between them becomes minimal so you could go 2700X or even a 2600(X).

Letting us know the monitor your planning on using would help us better recommend a CPU for your build.

Jun 4, 2019
High end air > AIO, it would be just as effective and quieter.

For the storage it depends on your needs, previously most would go with a 250-500gb SSD for the OS and a few games with long loading screens and then put the rest on a 1-2TB HDD but with SSD pricing going down it's pretty feasible nowadays to just have a larger 1TB+ SSD and preferably M.2 so it connects directly to the motherboard instead of having to connect it via SATA cables (data+power).

As for the CPU it's really going to depend on your monitor resolution and refresh rate. For example if your gaming at 1080P/240hz then I'd go Intel for the better performance per core but for 4K/60hz the difference between them becomes minimal so you could go 2700X or even a 2600(X).

Letting us know the monitor your planning on using would help us better recommend a CPU for your build.
Certainly. I'm currently in the process of choosing a monitor but in terms of specs the monitor would be something like 1440p/144Hz.

Jun 4, 2019
What about something like this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler (£54.38 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£81.18 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£68.50 @ AWD-IT)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card (£499.10 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan (£14.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1423.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-06 15:50 BST+0100

Reactions: WildCard999

YT-CTECH

Great
May 5, 2019
www.youtube.com
Hi folks

I've been eyeing this PC for some time and I'd like your opinion on whether it fits the price they're asking for. (link here: https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-gtx-1080-ti-custom-gaming-pc.html?category_id=529)

I calculated the price of parts myself and it looks like buying the parts individually and building it myself would save me around £200. However I didn't factor postage & packaging, so it may be even less than that.

Also I'm not sure if the PSU would be enough to power the 1080 Ti. I have found out that the PSU that the PC comes with is considered a mid-range unit, which doesn't bode well for a "high-end" system.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
build it yourself! maybe get more modern parts..

What about something like this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler (£54.38 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£81.18 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£68.50 @ AWD-IT)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card (£499.10 @ Aria PC)
Total: £1423.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-06 15:50 BST+0100

Couple of things on this, and yes, this would most likely work just fine.

One, the Thermalright Macho rev.B performs within about one degree of the Noctua NH-D15, while being almost ten bucks cheaper than the Dark rock 4 that you switched into that build.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermalright/Macho_RevB/6.html

Dark rock 3 and 4 have similar performance so you can see from the thermal results in that chart that at max load temps the Macho is the better cooler. Yeah, the all black BeQuiet coolers LOOK nice, and they do perform ok, but they don't perform AS WELL as peer coolers from the likes of Noctua, Thermalright, Phanteks and Scythe. The Macho rev. B from Thermalright (NOT to be confused with Thermaltake, which is a cheapskate company in my opinion), is still a great looking cooler, with a very high quality (One of the best in the industry) fan and heatsink and excellent performance.

That being said, either of these will work but if you plan on doing any overclocking I ALWAYS advise that when weighing two cooler choices you go with the one that has the better performance even if it's only a degree or two. That could be enough to keep you below the thermal ceiling on any overclocked configuration you settle on.

Two, again related to overclocking (But also for stock operations depending on the configuration of PBO and XFR2), and possibly to some of the offered features as well, the Prime X470-Pro has lower quality VRM and power phase components, using IR3553 instead of IR3555 for both VCore and SOC. So you have 6x60A=360A instead of 6x40A=240A for the VCore alone.

Also, the Pro has no debug LEDs, while the Taichi does. This is something that could be IMMENSELY helpful if you run into any problems, as debug LED codes are seriously easier to troubleshoot with than beep codes for the average user.

There are a few other things as well. I'd pay the extra few bucks for the Taichi OR go with the higher end ASUS Strix X470 F-gaming.

Don't skimp when it comes to spending a few extra bucks on a component. Often, that few extra bucks is WELL worth it in the long run, if there is a true reason for the extra price and not just "Well, it has RGB".