[SOLVED] Advice On Upgrading Computer (01/01/2021) - SOLVED!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hi,

What GPU should I upgrade too? Currently my client has a i3 oe i4 CPU with a GT 710 2gb card.

He would like to upgrade his card only for budget of £100. What card would you advice getting new?

Solution
but would he see a little boost in performance? And plus if he decides to ask me on a new build he wants to do. The graphics card is already done for the new build if he wants a new build later on.

mid the issue going to be that the GPU going to bottle neck the CPU I guess?

If the games he plays are more GPU dependent then he should see an increase, but not if they're CPU dependent. How big that increase is is anybody's guess, but I'd not expect too much on that old of a system.

Putting in a new GPU always gives an uplift, it's just that this performance increase is much less when you have much less system to start with.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok thank you. But if this card does not work and has to be sent back, which card would you think works the best for this system type for budget of £100.

GTX 750 Ti. And one with an external power connector required; "500W power supply" doesn't tell us anything and nobody can responsibly recommend something that might require a little more power without knowing what the exact power supply is.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Not the best deal at 130 quid and hardly worth it on that PC, but it's his money...

but would he see a little boost in performance? And plus if he decides to ask me on a new build he wants to do. The graphics card is already done for the new build if he wants a new build later on.

If the games he plays are more GPU dependent then he should see an increase, but not if they're CPU dependent. How big that increase is is anybody's guess, but I'd not expect too much on that old of a system.

Putting in a new GPU always gives an uplift, it's just that this performance increase is much less when you have much less system to start with.

Solution

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016

Very true. But I will come back to this form if he has any issues while installing the new GPU to this system like any errors or anything.

He may well be happy with the results, it's all relative and dependent on his previous experience. It's just if people come here and ask for advice, in most cases a lot here would agree that sometimes money is best saved until a more substantial upgrade can be achieved.

But like I say, he may be happy with the improvement. If he's not, easy for you to then point him in a different direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.