[SOLVED] Advice on what I need, and may be essential to upgrade before my MSI 3080 Trio arrives?

Diablik

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013
Ok so as the title says, I have ordered an MSI Gaming Trio 3080, link below:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-36b-ms.html

I want to know what in my system would be an essential upgrade and what would be a suggested upgrade for the arrival of my card, thanks.

My system is as follows:

CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz

GPU: GTX 1070

RAM: 16 Gb 1600

PSU: Corsair CX750

Motherboard: EVGA Z68

Monitor: Acer Predator x34 (3440 x 1440)

Solution
Well, you definitely need a new motherboard and CPU.
The i7-2600k is still "good" (meaning not ideal, but adequate without too much bottlenecking) for upper-mid-tier graphics cards (like a 2060 Super or maybe even 2070), but you're about to put the most powerful (RTX 3090 aside) gaming GPU today next to a very old CPU, which doesn't perform well enough today for this.

I would suggest going for the newest Intel or AMD platforms, and an upper-tier Intel i5 or Ryzen 5 CPU at least. You don't really need a new i7 or Ryzen 7 for gaming, only if you want to future-proof your rig further.

Ryzen 5 3600 or Intel i5-10600 are the minimum for this (but also it's not really worth it to go i7/Ryzen7 or higher: games won't utilize them further, 6...

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well, you definitely need a new motherboard and CPU.
The i7-2600k is still "good" (meaning not ideal, but adequate without too much bottlenecking) for upper-mid-tier graphics cards (like a 2060 Super or maybe even 2070), but you're about to put the most powerful (RTX 3090 aside) gaming GPU today next to a very old CPU, which doesn't perform well enough today for this.

I would suggest going for the newest Intel or AMD platforms, and an upper-tier Intel i5 or Ryzen 5 CPU at least. You don't really need a new i7 or Ryzen 7 for gaming, only if you want to future-proof your rig further.

Ryzen 5 3600 or Intel i5-10600 are the minimum for this (but also it's not really worth it to go i7/Ryzen7 or higher: games won't utilize them further, 6 cores and 12 threads are more than enough, which these have).

You'll also need new RAM for this, since your current system uses DDR3 while the new one would use DDR4. 16GB minimum, and make it dual-channel (not sure if you use 1x16gb or 2x8 / 4x4 right now).

These are not "essential", the 3080 will work together with these components, but you'll have insane bottlenecking going on.

Last edited:
Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Oh man a 3080 with a Sandy Bridge. I had my 4930k then had to go to Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 4.4Ghz and oh my even with SSD and 16GB RAM and what not Windows was so slow, slow like a turtle,,, no phun. I mean it was unusable. My 4930k creamed it and that is a 2014 processor before Windows 10 came out. Please save your money if your going to spend close to 1k and have a sorry to say the bridge is sandy and once the current comes it will wash the sandy bridge away. If you plan on upgrading CPU MOBO and RAM very soon in the futureu then get the 3080 and suffer horrible performance until you get a current CPU. So buy it if your gonna upgarde soon and don't buy it as it is waiste of money on a Sandy Bridge my friend. Just spend total 240 bucks and get a 2700x with a B450 motherboard or a Intel 9700k if you don't need HT as it performs similar to the 9900k and 10700k and what not. If you go with the 3080 and dont plan on upgrading CPU then you were better off getting a 3070 or a 1660Ti would be a good match with your current CPU and what not. You spend anything higher your waisting your money. If your willing to spend close to 1k on a video card then you can spend 500 dollars and get new CPU MOBO and RAM and then the 3080 will shine and fly @1440p with AA methods on and games maxed out and what not.🖐🙈👽🙏

g-unit1111

Titan
A 3080 with a 2600K? No, that needs to go. I wouldn't run it on anything less than a Ryzen 2600 or Intel 7000/8000 series at the minimum because otherwise you're looking at some massive bottlenecks. That would be like putting a Ferrari engine in a beat up Toyota chassis.

Diablik

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013
Hey folks,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to be upgrading the CPU, MB & RAM.

Am I right in thinking that the motherboard doesn't need to be the absolute top tier? Im not fussed about the MB being crazy top notch, just good enough not to be holding back the 3080.

RAM ill be comfortable purchasing, so the CPU, specifically what are the most affordable yet suitable for the 3080?

Will my CX750 PSU be enough for the 3080? I noticed on the gaming trio there are 3x8pin required, assuming the GPU would come with relevant adapters.

Thanks again guys

I am wondering about some people. Why are they always trying to save money with the PSU? It is the most important part of every build and can cause a lot of different troubles, if it is too cheap or too weak. Quality costs some money.

I think the OP here is open to that quality, as they asked already whether their current unit was sufficient. I have more patience for people like that than those who have already spent on a decent system, yet run it off a potato of a PSU and then say that the PSU "can't be the problem".

Just buy a decent one in the first place and then it can be ruled out as an immediate potential cause if there are any issues.