Question Advice pls...

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Hello all.

My old gaming rig from years past has a i7 7700 paired with a 1060 6gb. I was thinking of maybe upgrading the cpu and gpu. I just bought my boys 2 6800 xt's. So I have a 2060 just sitting there. I will add the 2060 to this old gaming rig. IF i was going to upgrade my 7700 which cpu would yall recommend? Would it make a big difference in gaming? Monitor being used on this old gaming rig is 1440 at 144hz.

THx

Reactions: punkncat

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023
Monitor being used on this old gaming rig is 1440 at 144hz.
You'll feel the cache and IPC choke on CPU bounded title but it'll be fine in other titles. But yeah, what's the intention here, you're looking for a platform to upgrade to? What's your budget going to be? What's the PSU and case?

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
No mobo upgrade. Just to give it a bump up in performance. But if the only cpu to fit is the K then all is good.

I thought there a lot more cpus that are compatible with this board/socket?

FCLGA1151

Last edited:

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023
FCLGA1151
Yeah but Intel put a pretty huge asterisk on that. Theyre locked at microcode level so that only 2 CPU generation can go inside of them. It goes something like this:
  1. 1xx and 2xx chipset for Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake (6th and 7th gen)
  2. 3xx chipset for Intel Coffee Lake and Coffee Lake Refresh (8th and 9th gen)
So yeah, youre pretty much at the end of the line. 7700 is the most you can do.

Reactions: SPECOPS70

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
People did successfully mod Coffeelake into older LGA1151 boards, but it meant custom BIOS and even covering pins on the bottom of the CPUs. Hyperthreading didn't work with all modified boards either, but that would mean that the i7-9700k without hyperthreading was an option.

I was tempted to try it, but never did.

Used to be a guy who built a whole automatic tool for it, but not sure that website/forum is still around.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
As an aside. Given the pricing on used 1060 it would be worth recommending you keep that around in the parts closet. It is always helpful to have a known working GPU on hand. I typically use a card that doesn't require additional power, but what you have on hand already is better than nothing.

Super cool of you to get the boys some nice cards like that.

Reactions: SPECOPS70