[SOLVED] Advise on using both windows 10 and windows 11 in dual boot to house each others page file. it that possible!

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
I have windows 10 and windows 11 installed on a dual boot system. I am trying to see if it is possible to house each others page files!.
I.e. when booted into windows 10 it's page file is housed on windows 11 and visa versa is that possible!! and if so how to achieve it! due to the following,
I have tried to set it up but am asked to overwrite!. first I have made sure that page files for both OS's are housed on alternative drives other than bot windows.
but afterwards when I go and try and set up page file for lets say windows 10 and house it on opposite window 11 drive is says ones already created do I want to overwrite?
I think if I choose yes to overwrite that no issue will crop up as if it did windows will just revert to system managed page file and mount it back on C drive but thought I would check here to see if any one new if it's possible before I try it.
I need some one who knows it works on any windows combination doesn't have to be win10 and 11 but I'm trying to avoid theory here!
any guidance here would be really appreciated.
many thanks

Solution
As you said to make life a little easier perhaps I'll leave it be if you recon there is minimal impact. just thought it would make sense to utilize OS drives when parked.
thanks for the advise
3 identical systems, configured as yours...

1 has the pagefile within each "C drive"
1 has the pagefile pointed at 'the other drive'
1 has the 2 pagefiles pointed at a 3rd drive.

You'd have to delve deep into artificial benchmarks to see ANY difference.
In user facing performance? None at all.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why is a good question

i wouldn't risk it, i would just make 2 new partitions for the size you think PF will grow to and move each one to its own. then they won't write over each others.

if you have enough ram it never uses the page file. Not suggesting that you remove it but its not like it grows that big unless you use a lot all the time.

I have windows 10 and windows 11 installed on a dual boot system. I am trying to see if it is possible to house each others page files!.
That's a weird setup. What's the purpose? That doesn't really make any sense.

It would make sense, to create a separate partition - just for pagefile. Then set pagefile for all OSes to use this special partition.
That would save apace and avoid pagefile fragmentation (on SSD fragmentation would not matter much).

Do not worry about overwriting pagefile. Active pagefile can not be overwritten. And inactive pagefile doesn't care about overwriting.

Reactions: CitizenSmith

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
This is 2 physical drives?
What type drives?

Why are you wanting to have the pagefile on a different drive?
How much RAM is in this system?

Yes both OS's are on separate hard drives.
I have Win10 on NVMe black ssd and win11 on WD blue ssd. I have other internal storage drives which are Sata and are used for storage and gaming.
I have 32gb ram.
The reason why I want page file on serrate drive is because Microsoft advises not to have page file on same drive as OS and with that in mind the fastest drives in my system will be the drives that the OS's are installed on I can only use one OS at a time so why not utilize the parked drive! and get some use out of it as it will be faster access than sata and I would rather keep the sata drives dedicated to their use.
Is the page file that windows says exists even though I have chosen none on C:drive does that have be to retained for some kind of reference to page file location on other drive or is it obsolete and can be over written!.

Last edited:

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

It would make sense, to create a separate partition - just for pagefile. Then set pagefile for all OSes to use this special partition.
That would save apace and avoid pagefile fragmentation (on SSD fragmentation would not matter much).

Do not worry about overwriting pagefile. Active pagefile can not be overwritten. And inactive pagefile doesn't care about overwriting.
that answered the question about over writing. nice one.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes both OS's are on separate hard drives.
I have Win10 on NVMe black ssd and win11 on WD blue ssd. I have other internal storage drives which are Sata and are used for storage and gaming.
I have 32gb ram.
The reason why I want page file on serrate drive is because Microsoft advises not to have page file on same drive as OS and with that in mind the fastest drives in my system will be the drives that the OS's are installed on I can only use one OS at a time so why not utilize the parked drive! and ket some use out of it as it will be faster access than sata and I would rather keep the sata drives dedicated to their use.
Is the page file that windows says exists even though I have chosen none on C:drive does that have be to retained for some kind of reference to page file location on other drive or is it obsolete and can be over written!.
With 32GB RAM, use of the pagefile is very minimal.
Just leave it on each OS's own drive.

You'll see ZERO performance impact, and make life much much easier.

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Or, put in a 250GB SATA III SSD, and designate that for the pagefile for both.
That was kind of the reason why I wanted to utilize both OS drives while they were parked to save buying and dedicating a whole drive not to mention finding a slot just for PF. and not sure how you would use one separate drive for both OS's as it wants to over write the first one made! when changing destination in second OS if that makes sense!.

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
With 32GB RAM, use of the pagefile is very minimal.
Just leave it on each OS's own drive.

You'll see ZERO performance impact, and make life much much easier.
As you said to make life a little easier perhaps I'll leave it be if you recon there is minimal impact. just thought it would make sense to utilize OS drives when parked.
thanks for the advise

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

Thanks for the advise

USAFRet

Titan
thanks for the advise
3 identical systems, configured as yours...

1 has the pagefile within each "C drive"
1 has the pagefile pointed at 'the other drive'
1 has the 2 pagefiles pointed at a 3rd drive.

You'd have to delve deep into artificial benchmarks to see ANY difference.
In user facing performance? None at all.

Reactions: CitizenSmith
Solution

TRENDING THREADS