Question AdwCleaner removed Cyberlink service and computer now crashes all the time because of high non-paged kernel memory ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 15, 2024
Hi,
I have used Adwcleaner since I have seen in some of your posts that it was a good way to remove something dodgy that was on my PC which both MalwareByte and Norton virus could or did seem to see and stop. So I ran Adwcleaner for the first time in my life and removed that thing that was running in the background that was driving me crazy and was sucking on my CPU, but also removed Cyberlink Service without me noticing.

BTW, the two things are not related, in the sense that while Adwcleaner detected the thing that was up to now undetectable, which was found in a folder called Low also decided to remove some privacy notices from some pre-installed software i had, which according to the description i saw on the day from Adwcleare it was saying it was harmless stuff - I stupidly said yes for the deletion. Among these Cyberlink was listed. As I said, it did not seem that it was going to remove the entire program just the privacy notice. As soon I clicked yes for all of that plus more (the rest in my view was harmless) my computer crashed . For the first time in my life I saw a blue screen and have frozen in terror.

PC did a memory dump and I have the logs from Adwcleaner too (which leave a lot to be desired). The net result is that Cyberlink Service has disappeered and the Kernel memory for non-paged keeps going up all the time whenever I use the VPN from MalwareBytes to watch stuff on the internet (which is basically all the time). Before I could use MalwareBytes VPN with no problems or worry on this non-paged memory business. THAT day I was running Malwarebytes (doing no scans or anything) and there was no VPN in use at the time, it was running in the background like it usually does to catch some malwareware that triggers on the internet on streaming sites sometimes.

I must say that when I used Adwcleaner, Malwarebytes was already installed on my pc and was running fine.

Because of this issue, I decided to uninstall Norton antivurs hoping that it would sort out things, since it sucks a lot of energy, although I must say it never clashed with Malwarebytes. I kept Malwarebytes and let Norton go.

From my observation from the task manager, the kernel memory stays stable for paged and no-paged, if I do any other tasks say work on audio with Audacity or convert audio. Videos do still play in VLC player and Gom Player (although in Gom player does not have really good audio), Pictures can be viewed in Windows photo viewer although for the life of me i cannot find where the program is. BTW, I'm open to suggestions for other sources to see photos, if you know let me know. DVD player still works. I have tried Power DVD to see if it works and it does although I never use it, and Cyberlink is the owner of that program. I did find an application file for PowerDVD in my downloads folder from 2013 it is called v5108_RiTA10(Patch)_Patch_DVD130311-03 and it says it is a Patch in the title - I am not sure whether I should click it, as I do not want to worsen things. maybe I could get Cyberlink service to come back with that? what do you think?

End result is that I can only watch ONE movie with the VPN and then I have to re-start my PC. If I did not, the Kernel for non-paged goes so high that then I get the blue screen crash error saying DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Once the memory goes up it does not come down - i have to restart because of it. As said this only happens for when I stream movies, so it seems at this point I can no longer binge watch series.

Does anyone know what I can do to get the kernel non-paged not to go out of control in my Windows 7, now that it seems I no longer have Cyberlink Service to do it for me?
Can you please let me know what can be done?

Thanks,

Stella

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes. its part of the process of creating the backup, you set a location. can make a folder as part of that - https://www.easeus.com/backup-recovery/change-backup-location-windows-7.html

I don't think it will run the backup unless you start the rollback process.
You can't name file from what I can tell

Shows the steps more than my last link did: https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/how-to-backup-windows-7.html#backupwithrestoreutility

don't download anything from them, I just using the guides.

I'm reading about the SSDs advantages - I did not know of their existance up to this last week so unfortunately, I have to work with what I have and use an HHD. I will buy some SSDs for the future.
wow. really. You can boot up within a minute. Imagine that. No need to walk off for a while and let it load... mums PC has a hdd still, I turn it on and give it a few minutes to start. Still seems to be loading every time, and she doesn't have a lot on that pc. Its about same age as yours is.

Then there is nvme but you can't use those on your motherboard as it doesn't have the needed slots.
SSD max speed is 550mb/s
nvme top speed is about 14000 now but they are expensive. Mine does about 3500 from memory.
nvme can boot into windows in 15 seconds. SSD take a little longer.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2024
wonders how it went.
Hi Colif,

thanks for the info about NVME - i will have to research what it is as I do not know what that is. But you say that i caanot use it with my motherboard anyway. as per our previous conversations I am planning to replace some items from this PC to make it last long and the motherboard would be most liklely one of those to be replaced in the near future.
Is this NVME an internal SSD? I was thinking of getting an external SSD for the future, is there any you can advise?

Also regarding the HDD I already have where I was thinking to send the back up to (as I have not started yet) is a 10 TB one from Seagate.
As I have already used it a tiny bit for other things, I need help and advice as how to send a complete back up to it for the Windows 7 PC. Also I would like to send to this HHD as a complete back up (that I will need to set up) for a Windows 11 laptop I own there too.
Do I have to partition it in 3 parts or can I use it as is and create a folder in the HDD called say" Windows 7 Back up" and send the full Back up i.e. including Windows folders and program to it and also create another folder and call it say "Windows 11 laptop" and send the ful back up for that one to that folder? can I access the other folders I have already saved there containing some audio files and projects from Audacity without having to trigger the back ups or is it not possible? Ideally I could do without using partition as I am not too bothered about hat but if you say if would be needed that I will do it but i will need instructions from you please.
Finally I am realy getting confused with how to do the back up and this is why I have not started yet (also I was working in the office yesterday and could not do any of this stuff before). The reason for this confusion stems from the article you sent me from the wikihow about the back up https://www.wikihow.com/Back-Up-Windows-7 because it mentions that the back up will not be full or at least it will not be like I see things currently my folders and desktop and the like on this Windows 7 PC unless I use third party software - is this true? I have downloaded one of the third party software listed there called Aomei backupper, but the basic version says something about the "disk clone being partially done" with the basic package of this program https://www.ubackup.com/upgrade-now.html?source=install&lang=en&ver=7.3.5&useday=0#compare - am I not getting something here? Is the back up I would do with the Standard version of this program be a full Back up or should I do the back up using the "let me choose" option listed in your wiki how and your other article abovee and this will enable me to back up everything like I am hoping to do? are there going to be any Computer images missing or something. I have not used AOMEI yet because I was puzzled so I need to unerstand fully what I need to do before I get started.

Thanks in advance,

Stella

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
thanks for the info about NVME - i will have to research what it is as I do not know what that is. But you say that i caanot use it with my motherboard anyway. as per our previous conversations I am planning to replace some items from this PC to make it last long and the motherboard would be most liklely one of those to be replaced in the near future.
Is this NVME an internal SSD? I was thinking of getting an external SSD for the future, is there any you can advise?

replacing mothertboard? At this rate you replace entire PC at same time.
Nvme are ssd that use the M.2 form factor and they can either be
  1. sata like SSD and run at max speed of 550mb/s or
  2. PCIe like your graphics card and run at 3500mb/s or faster.
You can't use them now but depending on what motherboard you got and how far you update PC, you might be able to use them.
My Z97 board had an nvme slot but it wasn't worth using them as they were only in infancy back then. 5 years later with this PC they are much better now.

nvme can be internal or external... just like ssd.

I am a little biased as I never had any problems with Samsung so I would probably get one of their external drives:
Just be sure the SSD you are buying actually exists - there are lots of fakes out there - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nal-portable-ssd-usb-drives-are-fake.3773032/
If price looks too good to be true, its probably fake.

I have asked someone else to comment on the backup.