AF or SP fan for side panel?

sven.silva

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm new here so if I'm in the wrong section I'm sorry ;v;
I have a 140mm fan location on my side panel, and I don't know if have to go with a AF or SP fan.
I heard that SP fan was for very closed spaces, but I have a Inno3D GTX 1060 iChill x3, and just above it a Asus Xonar DGX sound card, and I'm afraid of the heat that the GPU can make on top of it (does it make any problem for the sound card?).
Must I put there a SP of AF fan (the location is right beside the GPU so it'll blow air right in the radiator and between the GPU and the sound card).
Thank you for your answers >_>

Solution
Side panel fans = 99,9% of the time you run as intake.

Always go for AF fans unless the area the fan draw air from or push it into is very restrictive.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
most likely an AF fan is what you want for that spot.

SP means static pressure designed more for blowing through a radiator or heat sink where the air has to be "forced" into smaller spaces.

when the area is open then an AF fan will blow the max amount of air into the area as possible.

an AF fan will get a lot of air to the gpu and other parts so those SP fans can do their job.

sven.silva

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Okay, and it should be an intake? Because of the sound card above the GPU, the heat wouldn't be trapped by it? (without the sound card the heat would rise up through the CPU radiator and then out, but with the sound card I don't know). If this is a exhaust the heat made by my GPU (that is a open-air style GPU) would go out?
Also thanks for your answer >_>