Question Affordable GPU and PSU upgrade options for Dell Optiplex 9020 MT?

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 MT with a i7-4790 CPU, integrated graphics (VP2468 Series on Intel HD Graphics 4600), 32 GB of RAM, a 2 TB SATA SSD, two internal SATA 6 TB hard drives, and a stock 290 watt PSU.

I'm not a gamer, but I edit and play HD and sometimes even 4K video. I want a GPU that will fit in my case and enable me to use the latest versions of Davinci Resolve and Vegas Pro smoothly. It would also be nice to be able to run a local install of Stable Diffusion, but that's probably a pipe dream with my machine and price range, so that's in the "it would be nice, but not essential" category.

I'm looking for an affordable GPU (ideally $150 or less; certainly less than $200). I'm open to buying used or refurbished if that's advisable (I'm not sure whether or not it is advisable; I'd also like advice on that matter, as some things are good to buy used or refurbished and some aren't - I've always bought refurbished PCs, but would never buy a refurbished hard drive, for instance).

I've read that the GeForce GTX 1650 tends to be a good option, but as there are so many versions of it with different prices, I'd like to know which version of it would best meet the best balance of price + function to meet my needs. Also, I'd like to know whether there are other GPUs that would be better options for me than the GTX 1650.

There is a list of the best CPUs for using Davinci Resolve, ranked from most powerful at the top to least powerful at the bottom. The GTX 1650 is at the very bottom, which means it makes the cut, but only barely so. However, most of the higher-up options are outside of my price range, with the exceptions of the AMD Radeon RX 570 and several of the GTX 1660 models. The version of the AMD Radeon RX 570 linked on the page is actually the most affordable GPU on the list (it's currently less than $100 on Amazon in Used - Very Good condition). It would definitely require a PSU upgrade, since it pulls 150 watts.

https://www.richardlackey.com/best-gpu-davinci-resolve-nvidia-amd-2023/

While searching Amazon, I also came across a GPU that is currently very affordable new, has 8 GB of RAM, and draws 185 watts. It's a version of a Radeon RX 580 (which is one of the GPUs on the list linked above, but the page links to a different and more expensive version), although some reviews on the Amazon page say that it's a downscaled version and won't have new driver updates.

https://www.amazon.com/AISURIX-Graphic-Express-Desktop-Computer/dp/B0BLCRNCX9/

What GPU (either among those listed here or another one) do you think would best fit within my price range while giving me the most bang for my buck?

Also, what would be a good affordable but reliable PSU upgrade to power the new GPU? Would this one be a good option?

https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Cyberbron-ECB500AWT-Non-Modular-Warranty/dp/B08K1ZBYPZ/

I'm aware that I'll need a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter like the one below if upgrading the PSU.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Del...Power-24-Pin-to-8-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You could possibly cram a GTX 1650 in there, but the low profile ones are generally a lot more expensive.

Without more budget I would say you are stuck.

Minimum you need a new PSU and an adapter to plug it into the Dell motherboard. And to mount said PSU you need a new chassis.

Luckily that motherboard is a standard Micro ATX in shape and hole pattern, so that isn't too bad.

Generally have to give up front I/O though, since that is also proprietary, as well as the power button, unless you buy another adapter.

You can force the PSU to turn on when power is supplied (using the power switch on the PSU)

So you are looking at something like $125 before you even look at a GPU.

Better off simply replacing the whole thing with something newer and selling that system for what you can get (about $100) Might actually get more by selling the CPU separately, as it is desirable being the fastest for that socket.

Here is an older workstation with an 8GB Quadro in it already. And you would only have to spend a little more after selling what you have.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-001E-1FHF0?Item=9SIAC0FGNE9376

No OS or system drive, but you can always run Windows 10 unactivated for a while.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
You could possibly cram a GTX 1650 in there, but the low profile ones are generally a lot more expensive.

Would this be low-profile enough?

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-Compact-GV-N1656OC-4GD/dp/B08BNRR5SJ/

And to mount said PSU you need a new chassis.

Why so?

Generally have to give up front I/O though, since that is also proprietary, as well as the power button, unless you buy another adapter.

You can force the PSU to turn on when power is supplied (using the power switch on the PSU)

I'm not willing to make changes that would require all of that. I'd rather make whatever degree of upgrade I can without doing so, even if it's limited.

I'm also not interested in buying a different computer at this time.

can support 4K video at 60fps because of its HDMI v2.0 port.

Is HDMI 2.0 inferior to DisplayPort? I believe that my monitor (ViewSonic VP2468) supports both, but I've always used DisplayPort.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Would this be low-profile enough?

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-Compact-GV-N1656OC-4GD/dp/B08BNRR5SJ/

Why so?

I'm not willing to make changes that would require all of that. I'd rather make whatever degree of upgrade I can without doing so, even if it's limited.

I'm also not interested in buying a different computer at this time.

Is HDMI 2.0 inferior to DisplayPort? I believe that my monitor (ViewSonic VP2468) supports both, but I've always used DisplayPort.

You are right, that does take a standard PSU size. However, you can't directly plug a standard PSU into the motherboard.

That GPU still requires a 6-pin external power cable, which the 290W PSU does not offer.

Since the SATA power connectors are supplied via the motherboard they are the worst possible candidates for adapters. Likely result in the motherboard having issues. And typical SATA adapters are a fire hazard anyway.

You can install a new PSU though if you use one of these:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Del...Power-24-Pin-to-8-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

I don't normally recommend this one, but it is on the cheaper side and should be enough for these low power components.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zb...ertified-atx-power-supply-ps-spd-0430npcwus-w

That right there totals to $250, you can get that whole machine I listed for like $350...Maybe spend a little more to get back to 32GB of RAM, or more, a lot of those old workstations have 64 and 128GB (Same link has the 32GB option, $432)

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Since the SATA power connectors are supplied via the motherboard they are the worst possible candidates for adapters. Likely result in the motherboard having issues. And typical SATA adapters are a fire hazard anyway.

Does this mean that upgrading the PSU would result in a heightened risk of motherboard issues, or is it an entirely separate issue?

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
I would seriously reconsider doing any upgrade with this system.

Sell it as is, and apply that $$ to a whole new system.

This computer actually works very well for most of my needs. The only issues I have are with previewing being slow in some video editing programs (especially Davinci Resolve, of which I use an older version since the latest ones won't work at all on my integrated GPU) and 4K playback sometimes being glitchy.

Would getting a NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, at the very least, be a risk-free addition that might provide a slight boost in performance? From what I understand, I wouldn't need to upgrade my PSU or use any special connectors in order to use it.

USAFRet

Titan
This computer actually works very well for most of my needs. The only issues I have are with previewing being slow in some video editing programs (especially Davinci Resolve, of which I use an older version since the latest ones won't work at all on my integrated GPU) and 4K playback sometimes being glitchy.

Would getting a NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, at the very least, be a risk-free addition that might provide a slight boost in performance? From what I understand, I wouldn't need to upgrade my PSU or use any special connectors in order to use it.
I understand. I very recently semi-retired a 4790k system (not a Dell).
Works well for most tasks, but video editing will struggle.

But putting more money into this will give you, at best, a temporary reprieve.

DSzymborski

Titan

It's probably the only thing that's worthwhile to try. Having a prebuilt has basically blocked off quite a lot of upgrade paths. Dell's business isn't you upgrading the PC you bought from them after a decade, it's selling you a new one. The proprietary nature of some of the parts combined with the cheapness of others means any large upgrade is basically building a new PC.

Reactions: hbenthow

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
But putting more money into this will give you, at best, a temporary reprieve.

Video editing is a hobby rather than a profession for me, so it's all right if I have to use older versions of some programs. That's probably what I'll have to do with Resolve (Vegas mostly works great - it seems very optimized for weaker systems, unlike Resolve). I'll have to get a new computer eventually, but I'd prefer to use this one for a few more years.

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 seems like a cheap option (many versions of it are under $100, I even see some around $70 in Amazon warehouse deals or refurbished on Newegg), so I don't consider it a financial risk. Would need any kind of special connectors to use one, or would it be as simple as plugging it into the PCI slot? Is there anything in particular I would need to look for in terms of which version to get, or would almost any low-profile one work?

For instance, would this be a good option?

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...&cm_re=GeForce_GT 1030-_-14-932-045-_-Product

DSzymborski

Titan
Video editing is a hobby rather than a profession for me, so it's all right if I have to use older versions of some programs. That's probably what I'll have to do with Resolve (Vegas mostly works great - it seems very optimized for weaker systems, unlike Resolve). I'll have to get a new computer eventually, but I'd prefer to use this one for a few more years.

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 seems like a cheap option (many versions of it are under $100, I even see some around $70 in Amazon warehouse deals or refurbished on Newegg), so I don't consider it a financial risk. Would need any kind of special connectors to use one, or would it be as simple as plugging it into the PCI slot? Is there anything in particular I would need to look for in terms of which version to get, or would almost any low-profile one work?

For instance, would this be a good option?

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gt-1030-gv-n1030d5-2gl/p/N82E16814932045?Description=GeForce GT 1030&cm_re=GeForce_GT 1030--14-932-045--Product

As long as it fits, it should work. Make sure to measure how much room is inside your case to compare with card dimensions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

4k video playback is one thing, it'll work on a potato like a GT750 or pretty much any newer cpu igpu.

Working with 4k is a whole different ballgame. You'll pretty much be restricted to H.264, I don't believe your pc is capable of handling H.265 and I'd be careful with Fusion as that's seriously going to tax your cpu.

A GT1030 isn't going to do you any real favors for DaVinci. It relies heavily on vram, which you already get with the igpu equal to what the GT1030 has. You'll be ok with 1080p work, but 4k work will be start it working, and come back to it tomorrow kinda slow, if it works at all. Recommended minimums for a gpu 4k capable are 2060 class or better, basically 4x as powerful as a GT1030.

So if sticking to 1080p work, a GT1030 will barely do, and it'll handle 4k video playback, but working in 4k is pretty much beyond its capabilities in any reasonable time line.

For perspective, Pro DaVinci users are using 32/64 core Epyc/Xeon cpus with 64/128Gb of ram and anywhere upto 8x 4080/4090 class gpus. DaVinci is hard on a pc, and hardware but responds well to better equipment.

Used gpus are always a gamble, not so much because of 'mining abuse', but more so from 'gamer abuse', as many 'wannabe gamers' never really maintain or thoroughly clean their equipment, they run it until it slows and then dump it to help offset the next big thing. Memory issues, power issues, artifacting etc are common sideaffects of overheated components on dirty, illtreated cards.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
A GT1030 isn't going to do you any real favors for DaVinci. It relies heavily on vram, which you already get with the igpu equal to what the GT1030 has. You'll be ok with 1080p work, but 4k work will be start it working, and come back to it tomorrow kinda slow, if it works at all. Recommended minimums for a gpu 4k capable are 2060 class or better, basically 4x as powerful as a GT1030.

So if sticking to 1080p work, a GT1030 will barely do, and it'll handle 4k video playback, but working in 4k is pretty much beyond its capabilities in any reasonable time line.

I mostly edit in 1080p. 4K editing is the exception for me, and generally confined to simple changes rather than complex ones.

Used gpus are always a gamble, not so much because of 'mining abuse', but more so from 'gamer abuse', as many 'wannabe gamers' never really maintain or thoroughly clean their equipment, they run it until it slows and then dump it to help offset the next big thing. Memory issues, power issues, artifacting etc are common sideaffects of overheated components on dirty, illtreated cards.

I've read that the one I linked to is refurbished by the manufacturer itself (GIGABYTE). Is that generally better than regular used GPUs?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Generally, if factory refurb then it's more trustworthy based solely on one thing. It was factory tested. They cannot sell an item that's broke, and not disclaimer. To avoid the legal ramifications, they test every unit at factory specs.

So in one respect you know it should work, and you'll have a rma warranty for a short period, whereas buying used it's caveat emptor and if it dies a week after purchase, that's not on the seller as it was working when sold and you are SOL.

Jun 29, 2023
I have a RTX 3050 8GB working in my Optiplex 9020 MT. The motherboard is PCIe 3.0 and the card is 4.0 but that's no problem. I used a coolermaster 850 watt PSU with 24 to 8 pin adapter. The PSU is a bit of an overkill and barely fitted (I can't close the case properly now). I also tried a RTX 3060 12GB, that one got recognized but gave garbled output and did not let me install the correct driver. May have been a faulty GPU card, I had no means to test that. Hope this info helps.

Last edited: