[SOLVED] After a CPU upgrade , computer randomly reboots while gaming + "overclocking failed" msg

Klask

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
So , I upgraded my
CPU ( from a Intel Xeon W3530 to a Xeon X5690) and my GPU ( from a Asus Strix GTX 950 2GB to GTX 1650S 4GB) .
It justs randomly reboots when I m playing ; at startup it displays "Overclocking failed. Please enter the setup to re-configure the system settings". I haven't tried to oc it .
The temps are fine ( around 40-55 for both CPU and GPU).
Bios is updated to the latest verison .

My specs:

motherboard: asus p6t se
CPU: Intel Xeon X5690
GPU: GTX 1650S
Ram : DDR3 2X4Gb 1333Mhz
Psu: MS-N650-VAL 650W

Solution
So , I upgraded my
CPU ( from a Intel Xeon W3530 to a Xeon X5690) and my GPU ( from a Asus Strix GTX 950 2GB to GTX 1650S 4GB) .
It justs randomly reboots when I m playing ; at startup it displays "Overclocking failed. Please enter the setup to re-configure the system settings". I haven't tried to oc it .

My specs:

Hmm,

A couple of things that jump out at me - firstly you are running dual channel memory on a tripple channel memory cpu. You really need to get an additional 4gb DDR3 1333 module to get the most out of...
So , I upgraded my

My specs:

Hmm,

A couple of things that jump out at me - firstly you are running dual channel memory on a tripple channel memory cpu. You really need to get an additional 4gb DDR3 1333 module to get the most out of that cpu (also the extra 4gb is helpful as Windows uses quite a bit of memory it means you will have a full 8gb for games).

Secondly, that PSU looks pretty dodgy- you might want to take a read through this article on Toms regarding PSU's:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

It's probably worth resetting the bios to defaults given the error you are getting (although that might just be a random error due to the crash).

Final thought is you might want to run the DDU driver utility to fully remove all the gpu drivers and then install a fresh copy of the latest drivers from nVidia, just in case the issue is being caused by leftovers from the old drivers on the system (it's usually not too much of a problem to go from 1 nVidia card to another but it can cause problems so worth a try).

Solution