Question After a major crash, can't install drivers on Windows 10

May 17, 2023
Last night my laptop woke with a death cry (a loud beep). When checked out in the morning it was displaying the final screen of the self-check process - showing no issues.
What probably happened was a failed, automated Windows 11 upgrade (maybe not), but after this point the PC failed to boot, it got stuck at the Dell logo screen with progress indicator. After about 10 minutes, it displayed one of two different BSOD's: DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE or another one I haven't noted.
I managed to update the BIOS from 1.6.0 to 1.12.0 (latest) via the command prompt.
I tried to reinstall fom a USB stick. After multiple attempts I found that I can install Windows 10 from the USB stick, but I can't install any drivers. Not the chipset, network, anything. I can use it, browse, until I reboot, when it fails with the above symptoms. Safe mode or any other options on that manu do the same.
It is very similar to the question in this forum from Tompica123 "Windows 10 not working" - I just haven't found a solution yet.
The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 3505
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
RAM 8GB

Colif

Win 11 Master
given current version of win 10 is 10.0.19045.2965 you are way behind. Could have been a win 10 update that didn't work.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

once you have the USB. go to PC that won't install any drivers and while windows is running, put USB into a USB slot, and go to File explorer
Navigate to the USB and run setup.exe
this should offer to update the windows 10 to latest version.
agree to that and it will restart PC and upgrade you to 22H2

that might let you install drivers then.

when it fails with the above symptoms
those being BSOD?

DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE
that one was a driver error... name gives it away. Until you can actually install drivers, any errors will be caused by windows using the wrong ones.

if they persist after updating windows,

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Last edited:
May 17, 2023
Last night my laptop woke with a death cry (a loud beep). When checked out in the morning it was displaying the final screen of the self-check process - showing no issues.
What probably happened was a failed, automated Windows 11 upgrade (maybe not), but after this point the PC failed to boot, it got stuck at the Dell logo screen with progress indicator. After about 10 minutes, it displayed one of two different BSOD's: DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE or another one I haven't noted.
I managed to update the BIOS from 1.6.0 to 1.12.0 (latest) via the command prompt.
I tried to reinstall fom a USB stick. After multiple attempts I found that I can install Windows 10 from the USB stick, but I can't install any drivers. Not the chipset, network, anything. I can use it, browse, until I reboot, when it fails with the above symptoms. Safe mode or any other options on that manu do the same.
It is very similar to the question in this forum from Tompica123 "Windows 10 not working" - I just haven't found a solution yet.
The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 3505
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
RAM 8GB
Have the answer - from the repair shop: there was water damage to multiple components, not a software issue.

TRENDING THREADS