[SOLVED] After a reboot, my second monitor is now "Generic PnP"

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
After I rebooted my PC, the options no longer show the model of my second monitor, only "Generic PnP" or something similar. Also, it shows the wrong native resolution and no matter what resolution I input, my second montior will be blurry.
Both monitors are plugged into my GPU with 2 HDMI cables.
Any tips on how to fix this? Thanks.

Edit: now it keeps blinking on and off, and keeps messing up my first monitor too
Edit2: I've tried with another monitor and same issue

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like a driver issue.

Download a program called DDU and use it to uninstall your drivers. Then, download the latest drivers and install them. Try plugging in the problem monitor after that.

Also, a bad cable could be the culprit.

Download a program called DDU and use it to uninstall your drivers. Then, download the latest drivers and install them. Try plugging in the problem monitor after that.

Reactions: Ley
Solution

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016

Thanks for your reply.
Turned out it was the cable that was dying. I was panicking there, and it was just that.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
Turned out it was the cable that was dying. I was panicking there, and it was just that.

Good lord, I just posted cables as a diagnostic topic. Yours is an interesting story. And BTW I recently found out that the monitor has its own drivers and if you right click on the PnP monitor (In Win 10's DEVICES) it will update and then show the specific monitor.

But it didn't make a performance difference. I haven't had a situation where the screen went soft.

I'm beginning to think we should keep a spare hdmi and spare displayport in the closet. We always run to the drivers and OS settings. The cables seem to be very far down on diagnostic priorities.

Greg N

Reactions: Ley

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
I'm beginning to think we should keep a spare hdmi and spare displayport in the closet. We always run to the drivers and OS settings. The cables seem to be very far down on diagnostic priorities.

Greg N

Exactly, I didn't know a cable that looked completely fine could cause that many issues.
And by the way I've tried updating the drivers but there were none.
Now we know that the first thing to do is to try with a different cable or adapter.