[SOLVED] After adding more ram pc wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

aksussus

Commendable
Jun 30, 2017
I had 2x4gb ddr4 ram on My pc and i decided to buy other 2x4gb ram so i would have 16gb ram.the new rams are exactly the same as the old so they should be compatible but when i try to start my pc the dram light comes on. I tries to clear the cmos with the battery removing. But still didnt Help. The pc works again if i only use 2 ram sticks but dont work with all 4. The ram is corsair vengeance lpx 4gb ddr4 2133mhz and my mobo is msi b150m mortar. I hope that someone Will Help me with this problem

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Do the new sticks work by themselves in the computer?
Reason for asking: if the new sticks by themselves work, then something on the mobo is balking. In older PCs, if only using 2 slots out of 4, I had to use the slots given in the manual.
I.E., if both old pair and new pair of RAM work in slots 1 & 2, then I suspect something amiss with either slots 3 or 4 -- again just an example.

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
I have the exact same issue though with an older corsair vengeance 2x4 ddr3 RAM. Bought an identical pair to increase my overall memory to 16gb (from previous 8gb) but upon adding it I get boot loop.
Both (old and new) 2x4 packs work on their own, either in slots 1&3 or 2&4, but not in combination (4x4). My motherboard is the gigabyte z77 ds3h, which supports up to 32gb of RAM.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

aksussus

Commendable
Jun 30, 2017
I have the exact same issue though with an older corsair vengeance 2x4 ddr3 RAM. Bought an identical pair to increase my overall memory to 16gb (from previous 8gb) but upon adding it I get boot loop.
Both (old and new) 2x4 packs work on their own, either in slots 1&3 or 2&4, but not in combination (4x4). My motherboard is the gigabyte z77 ds3h, which supports up to 32gb of RAM.

Any help would be appreciated. :)
I got it working after i updated the bios

Reactions: Zizo007

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Actually I just solved my problem as well. Apparently after playing around with the ram, I had mistakenly installed the older kit in slots 2&4, whrereas the mobo manual instructs in favor of 1&3. So after putting it in the right slots and resetting to stock speed, I added the newer kit (first tried one stick, then the second) and it worked. I am pretty sure I had done the exact same thing the first time I realized there's an issue a couple of months ago but it only just now worked.

Anyway, I'm glad both of our problems are solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.