[SOLVED] After BIOS update, Start, Clock, and ms-settings are gone

Jan 10, 2022
Before resorting to a clean reinstall, I'm curious if any of you can suggest how I might fix this.

Brief history... it's a Dell Inspiron 15 7000. It came with Windows 10, and I updated to Windows 11 sometime late 2021.

A week or so ago the fan began making a loud noise, and Dell's website said to update software before anything else. One of the updates was for the BIOS (scary, I know). I ran the updates and rebooted, and nothing has worked right since :-(

I had a Dell tech remote in to the computer and tried to fix it, but when he was done it wouldn't boot Windows at all! His only suggestion was to reinstall Windows and start over.

After tons of resetting and restoring things, I was FINALLY able to get Windows to boot! But it's not working right... at all. This allowed me to back up critical data, at least, but there are so many programs that I'm afraid I'll still lose a lot of data if I do a clean install. So I'm really hoping that someone here can suggest a less nuclear alternative :-O

Here are my known symptoms:

1. There's no Start menu and no clock. I do have an up arrow where it's supposed to be near the clock and there are some icons there, but no icon for Network. If I plug the router in then I'll have internet, but there's no Wifi.

2. I can open SOME programs, but not Notepad or Notepad++. If I minimize them then they don't go to the taskbar and Alt+Tab doesn't bring them back, so I don't know if they're closed or I just can't access them.

3. Pressing the Windows key by itself doesn't seem to do anything; it doesn't open the Start menu.

4. Pressing Win+r opens the Run menu, but Win+i opens a window with a gear icon, then about 10 seconds later it closes. Win+a and Win+p don't do anything.

5. Win+r > ms-settings: throws this error:

File system error (-2147219196).

6. I can use Win+e to open File Explorer, but it takes awhile to open. Right-clicking on anything "works", but it takes about 5 minutes for the menu to open.

7. I was able to open PowerShell as Admin via:

powershell Start-Process powershell -Verb runAs

I used this to run sfc /scannow, and at 15% it returned:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

There's a log file at C:/Windows/Logs/CBS/CBS.log, but it's 34 pages long so of course I don't want to post the whole thing without warning! If you can tell me what to look for then I'll gladly post it.

I'm scared to restart the computer at this point for fear that it won't boot again. Any other suggestions before I resort to a complete reinstall?